Bolts for Engine Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolts for Engine Stand

So Im about to pull the bottom end out of my parts car and put it on a engine stand. What bolt do I use to hold the block? also where would I get it? Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

- Yun

you use the bolts that hold the trans to the block

Comment

Originally posted by e30this View Post
      you use the bolts that hold the trans to the block
      I would just go to a hardware store. You are going to need 4 of the long, larger bolts. And there are only 2 on the sides of the tranny...
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Grade8!!!

Comment

M12x100

Comment

one and two shows the largest m12 bolts.

one is 45 mm and one is 75 mm and none display treadwidth. Will the 45 mm reach? or do I need 4 75mm bolts?

It might be self explanatory when the block comes out, but I want to bolt it on the stand right away, and not ahve to go fishing for bolts after I pull the block.

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
              I would just go to a hardware store. You are going to need 4 of the long, larger bolts. And there are only 2 on the sides of the tranny...
              k just read this, silly me. But will all the m12 be the same treadwidth? I cant imagine it would. ETK shows no tread width, I guess I'll jsut ahve to go to the hardware store to match it in one of those guides.

Comment

Go buy the bolts I posted. You will only find the correct THREAD PITCH unless you go to a specialty store.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  Go buy the bolts I posted. You will only find the correct THREAD PITCH unless you go to a specialty store.
                  okay I will. I just have another question for anyone that can answer.

Everyone say use Grade 8 bolts. Grade 8 is a SAE standard. the comparable spec for a Metric bolt is a 10.9 Class/Grade. The seat belt bolts on our cars are 8.8 class/grade, is more like Grade 5 on SAE standard. So which one is it?

Comment

You're right, and that's very perceptive of you.

It doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                      You're right, and that's very perceptive of you.

It doesn't matter.
                      thanks alot. Exactly the answer I needed. :)

Comment

I highly recomend MCMaster-Carr for your bolt supplies. I just had the same dilema and got bolts from them which thread right into the block. You have no idea hom much easier it makes it when you have the right grade bolts and appropriate length. I have the pack in my car so I can get the info later but the bolt was an M12 with 1.75 thread pitch and if I remember correctly it was a 130mm length. I used a some washers since i had to clear the flywheel pins as they did not want to come out easily. This make it much easier when doing the valve adjustment.

Comment

i use whatever threaded stock from home depot, and a bunch of nuts.

don't buy new bolts just to mount to engine stand, you will just bend them.

Comment

I found the invoice for my bolts. I got them at McMaster-Carr from Elmhurst IL. I got them through their website mcmaster.com Part # 91280A745. They are Grade 8.8 which means they can hold some decent weight. The size is M12 with 1.75 pitch and 130mm length. These are available in longer and shorter sizes. For my application 125mm would have been fine, but I wanted to make sure. The length really depends on the type of the engine stand you have and also if you have left the flywheel on the engine. I left mine on so I had to clear the clutch alignment pins. I did use about an 1" worth of heavy duty washers on each bolt to get everything to line up just right. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X