how to go about getting this out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to go about getting this out?

I'm trying to remove an M20B25 from a car at my local junk yard to rebuild over the summer. My question is how should I go about doing this?

The front end has been sawed off so the engine can EASILY be chained and lifted away. I know how to remove it the right way, but since the front end is open, should I just drop the entire suspension when the crane comes down and holds the engine? If I have it hold onto the engine and I drop the suspension, it will take the tranny and half of the driveshaft out with it. Once it's like that I can just unbolt the tranny and drop it real fast.

The reason I'd rather do this is because I don't feel like getting the driveshaft off. If the harmonic balancer wasnt there I wouldn't mind, but it just makes things hard to take off so I'd rather take the whole thing out and drop the garbage auto tranny. This would make getting the engine out about a 15 minute job rather than the couple hours that it would normally take with the rusted tranny bolts.

I'm just asking this to see if there are any bad reasons I shouldn't do it. I see none. I don't want to destroy the engine, but I'm rebuilding it completely anyway for a summer project.

Well, if you pull the driveshaft apart it'll be junk, unless you mark it's alignment. I'd rather rotate the driveshaft and remove those 6 bolts than fight with removing the 3 torque converter bolts while it's all in the car.

Since when does the "harmonic balancer" make things hard to disassemble?

Seriously though what's an extra 5-10 minutes spent doing it right way and not fucking up any salvagable parts, so that someone who might possibly need them in the future to have. Sounds like pure, absolute laziness. Go back to Honda, there are plenty of them to scrap. I could understand if there were 500 E30s in our scrapyards, but only 1 of my local 10 yards has 2 E30s so, use your brain.
    Last edited by Devil Inc; 03-14-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Thats the thing though. this driveshaft is rusted to hell. its barely usable. I always try to keep E30 parts as nice as I can for other yard goers because I know how it is. Our yards locally are the same way.

Also, an automatic tranny will just slip right off like a manual one will, right? Does the torque converter come off like a flywheel? Will I need my impact wrench?

Comment

I appologize for the trolling, it has a flex plate similar to a flywheel and the torque converter attaches to it via 3 bolts. It'd be easier to disconnect the the guibo and then separate the engine and tranny after you've got it out of the car. That'd be simpiler than fighting with the chance of ruining the driveshaft and what not.

Driveshafts are rebuildable, so you never know. Most of our yards would throw a shit fit if they seen us doing that, just ripping stuff out.

Think about it this way, your pulling on the driveshaft, well what else is connected to that, umm the whole rear end. You could potentially mess that stuff up, and what if you need some of that stuff some day?

And removing the block from the tranny in the car isn't fun, there are a couple of bolts that are closely related to the "Bitch Clip" in terms of being easily accessible.
        Last edited by Devil Inc; 03-14-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

yeah I guess you're right. fair enough. I will do it the right way :)

Comment

success! what a pain in the ass, but I did it:)

Comment

Originally posted by bmwlover0725 View Post
              success! what a pain in the ass, but I did it:)
              It always is... but somehow, it always seems worth it. :)
              1987 E30 325is
              1999 E46 323i
              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

right you are.

Comment

Working...
                X