Drivers side and Wiring M20 motor picture - motor removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers side and Wiring M20 motor picture - motor removal

I’ve looked at the Bentley and a few other resources and was wondering if anyone had a good picture of the drivers side of an M20 when removed with things still attached. I’m trying to figure out and get a better visual of what I need to disconnect - the least I need to disconnect - to get the motor out. Most important where to disconnect fuel lines and other lines that I”m missing (2 heater core lines also will be discconnected).

Also, looking forward a picture of the engine bay with everything but the motor/motor’s wiring harness present. And a picture of the wiring harness.

Just trying to gauge the things and getting a visual for things I need to still remove/disconnect and where to look.

Any pictures will be VERY helpful.

Some good pics here:

Specs: 2.5 block, 2.7 crank, 2.5 rods, custom 85mm Wiseco pistons, 885 2.5i head, stock cam (for now), Supersprint headers and exhaust, Bosch Motronic 1.3, custom chip, custom wiring from Motronic to the E21 fuse box. June, 2014: This BMW M20 engine was offered to me and the deal was too good to pass up. Supposedly it was taken from a parts car with 88k miles. It's from a 1988 325is. I know it's an 88 because it has the later style coolant system with the metal coolant pipe across the front. And it's an "is" because it has a oil filter housing set up for an oil cooler. I got lucky! Or did I? As I dismantle it I'm finding someone has been through this engine quite a lot. Nearly every bolt I touch is loose already. The timing cover is held on with one bolt, there are hoses missing, and the exhaust manifolds are already removed. And the kicker - the cylinder head is new/fresh. There's not a smudge anywhere inside and half the rocker arms are new! But I can't be so lucky - the timing marks between the cam sprocket and the crank pulley are off. It's off by 1.5 teeth on the cam mark. Since the M20 is an interference engine this can be BIG trouble. I'm hopeful that someone just reassembled the engine hastily and left it off a tiny bit. Update: after removing the cylinder head and inspecting it and the pistons, I think I have the whole story on what happened. As is too common on the E30 325, the timing belt probably broke, which sent the valves into the pistons. There are grooves in the exhaust valve reliefs on the pistons that shouldn't be there (the intake side looks good). So the head was pulled and rebuilt but was not milled. Then the pistons were cleaned up but not removed from the block. And the motor was reassembled with all new gaskets and driven for a little while. Then the car was sold. The last owner of the engine started taking it apart but took a different direction. That's why so many parts are removed or loose. I got very very lucky with this deal! Update, August, 2015: first drive with the new engine. A few small issues but running great! Update June, 2019: I have about 3,000 miles on the rebuild so far and it's been a joy to drive. There have been some setbacks from things that should have been done with everything off the car. But that's Murphy's Law for you. You can find the series of minor setbacks at the bottom of the last page. To see more about M20 and E21 life, check out my blog at www.e21323iblog.com. All images publicly shown are mine and I reserve all copyright.
    1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post

Perfect! Exactly what I’ve been looking for.

Comment

Working...
      X