Crack in Oilpan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crack in Oilpan

I did it boys. First oil pan is leaking. What should I do to fix it. I haven't taken a good look under there at all because i can't lift it up rn but what would be something I could use to fix it well enough to stop the leaks, or at least until i could get a new one. I was planning on getting some coils or suspension setup soon anyway so it sucks it had to happen now. I was thinking of just using some JB Weld because I have seen people say it worked well for them. Would anybody know how long this would last or how effective it would be? I haven't gotten a good look at the pan either because it's still covered with oil but it doesn't seem to be that bad. Just some small drops. Also would I be able to fit maybe an E46 or E36 pan on or no?

P.S. I know I will need a new oil pan later on, I just want to have something to make it not leak until i can raise the cars suspension and maybe get a skid plate.
    Last edited by ThomasE30; 04-18-2020, 02:55 PM.

I just did this on my e24.

If you want to fix it get some Loctite 290 (Wicking Grade) and JB quik weld.
    Drain the oil out of the pan, and hit the crack with brake cleaner. Squirt the brake cleaner into the crack several times and let it flash off. I used a triangle file to open up the crack so i can spray the brake cleaner through.

Get a MAP gas or propane torch and hit the crack with the torch for a good 1-2 minutes to burn out the oil. If you use MAP gas be careful because you can melt the aluminum. Heat the area surrounding the crack too so it doesn't grow. Don't spray brake cleaner on the hot aluminum or the crack will grow.

Let it cool until its hot to the touch. It should be around 85 C, which is uncomfortably hot. Apply loctite 290 and make sure it wicks into the crack and fills it.. Don't wipe off with paper towel, it'll pull the loctite out of the crack. Wipe off with something non-absorbent. Loctite 290 cures in about 2-3 hours at 22C ambient temp.

After an hour apply JB quik over the crack. Don't need much. This is to seal off air from the loctite allowing it to cure fully. Don't refill the oil until about 2-3 hours after applying the loctite. I let it sit for about 5 hours.

This will probably hold for up to a year if you do it properly. Eventually the loctite breaks down from heat cycles and motor oil.

Get a skid plate!
    Last edited by pandaboo911; 04-18-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
      I just did this on my e24.

If you want to fix it get some Loctite 290 (Wicking Grade) and JB quik weld.
      Drain the oil out of the pan, and hit the crack with brake cleaner. Squirt the brake cleaner into the crack several times and let it flash off. I used a triangle file to open up the crack so i can spray the brake cleaner through.

Get a MAP gas or propane torch and hit the crack with the torch for a good 1-2 minutes to burn out the oil. If you use MAP gas be careful because you can melt the aluminum. Heat the area surrounding the crack too so it doesn't grow. Don't spray brake cleaner on the hot aluminum or the crack will grow.

Let it cool until its hot to the touch. It should be around 85 C, which is uncomfortably hot. Apply loctite 290 and make sure it wicks into the crack and fills it.. Don't wipe off with paper towel, it'll pull the loctite out of the crack. Wipe off with something non-absorbent. Loctite 290 cures in about 2-3 hours at 22C ambient temp.

After an hour apply JB quik over the crack. Don't need much. This is to seal off air from the loctite allowing it to cure fully. Don't refill the oil until about 2-3 hours after applying the loctite. I let it sit for about 5 hours.

This will probably hold for up to a year if you do it properly. Eventually the loctite breaks down from heat cycles and motor oil.

Get a skid plate!
      Do skid plates work well? Because i have seen a small amount of people say their skid plate just hit their oil pan and ruin it. I'm sure this has more to do with how you mount it more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasE30 View Post
        Do skid plates work well? Because i have seen a small amount of people say their skid plate just hit their oil pan and ruin it. I'm sure this has more to do with how you mount it more than anything.
        I’ve had the Red46 24v swap skid plate and it worked. I eventually went to 17” wheels and don’t need it anymore. It’ll reduce your ground clearance more but probably saved my oil pan a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
          I’ve had the Red46 24v swap skid plate and it worked. I eventually went to 17” wheels and don’t need it anymore. It’ll reduce your ground clearance more but probably saved my oil pan a few times.
          Okay that's the one I was actually looking at. Thank you! And I actually didn't think about wheels raising it. I've just been thinking about suspension.

Comment

So i took a good look at the pan and saw that the leaks were from the drain plug. It was bottomed out on one side so it might just be that. Gonna get a new one tomorrow and see if that helps. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
            X