Another Idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Idle issue

Hi all, sorry for the post - Yes, I've used the search feature, I have my suspicions of what might be the cause of the hunting idle followed by completely cutting out. I'm hoping this video can help someone nail it down. I tried making my own homemade smoke tester. I think it worked well but i wasn't able to find a vacuum leak. Which either means i don't have a vacuum leak or the tool wasn't good enough. I did see that the smoke made it to the valve cover when i took off the oil filler cap.

It is a convertible that had been in storage for about 4 months. It ran without issue for ~50 miles this season until this happened. So i don't think it is bad gas but maybe? I put stabil in the tank when i stored it.

I'm fortunate enough to have another working e30 so i swapped the ICV and the air box. The "good" e30 still ran just fine. No change in the "sick" e30. Here is the video:

could be far fetched but I had a poor idle in mine and it was due to vacuum which u said you checked but it was also because the throttlecable was very loose. once I adjusted it my idle was immediately better. could be worth a try before digging deep into fuel lines/ injectors to see if your feeling is correct.

Comment

If you hold down the throttle, will it run properly? In other words, is off idle seem right? "coming out of storage", any signs of critters? I would start with checking the idle position switch.
      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

could be far fetched but I had a poor idle in mine and it was due to vacuum which u said you checked but it was also because the throttlecable was very loose. once I adjusted it my idle was immediately better. could be worth a try before digging deep into fuel lines/ injectors to see if your feeling is correct.
        Originally posted by tomstin View Post
        If you hold down the throttle, will it run properly? In other words, is off idle seem right? "coming out of storage", any signs of critters? I would start with checking the idle position switch.
        Thank you for the response
        Yes, it will run properly if I hold down the throttle a bit. I'll read up on that idle position switch and report back. I didn't see any signs of critters.

Comment

What do you make of this?
          After some reading on the Pelican forums I saw a guy take out the ICV and tape up the holes. Then poke a hole on the throttle side. That's what you see in this video:

https://youtu.be/kjGl34lT8AY">https://youtu.be/kjGl34lT8AY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I guess it is not fuel related so that's good. I thought I confirmed I had a good ICV but maybe not?
          Last edited by RaabsIn513; 06-02-2020, 03:33 PM. Reason: Tried to get the YouTube link to work from chrome mobile

Comment

The best, all in one place, explanation and idle trouble shooting document I've found is here http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml

To your question on taping off the ICV, see part 5. ICV Kludging
            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
              The best, all in one place, explanation and idle trouble shooting document I've found is here http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_idlefaq.shtml

To your question on taping off the ICV, see part 5. ICV Kludging
              Thanks for the link. Very helpful. I saw that the resistance reading should be 8-9 ohms across the two pins of the ICV. Well my ICV has three pins since its an M20, either way after some quick research all three pins on both ICVs are in spec. Across the outer pins ~40ohms and ~20ohms from the center pin to either outer pin.

I'll have to observe the behavior of the valve again, and read the entire link you provided. thanks again

Comment

i'm not sure what i did that "fixed" it. It is idling at ~500 rpm. Seems too low. Hardly goes up with the AC compressor activated. I put some electrical tape in the ribbed side of the ICV snout. I touched the idle set screw but returned it to basically the original position.

Comment

Originally posted by RaabsIn513 View Post
                  i'm not sure what i did that "fixed" it. It is idling at ~500 rpm. Seems too low. Hardly goes up with the AC compressor activated. I put some electrical tape in the ribbed side of the ICV snout. I touched the idle set screw but returned it to basically the original position.

mine idles at around 1000-1500 I would tighten that throttle cable and play with how much air is entering ur throttle body, tighten and loosen while the car is running, it will be very noticeable when u change this, that top cable does look a little floppy, over time they will loosen.

Comment

Originally posted by EbzyyE30 View Post

mine idles at around 1000-1500 I would tighten that throttle cable and play with how much air is entering ur throttle body, tighten and loosen while the car is running, it will be very noticeable when u change this, that top cable does look a little floppy, over time they will loosen.
                    Thank you for your reply,
                    I think this will require me to adjust the TPS too. Since, as it is now, any tighter adjustment to the throttle cable will click off the throttle position sensor. I guess I need to take the TB off and adjust the tps forward to bring the idle position up.

Comment

Working...
                    X