Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New M20 Won't Rev Past 1100 RPM

Hello,

My rebuilt M20 won't rev past 1100 RPM. Seems to idle fine, but at ~1100 RPM the engine will start backfiring through the exhaust and act like it has a massive vacuum leak (it doesn't). It also threw an engine temperature sensor code, which cleared. I cleaned the C191 connector pins thinking a bad connection to the injectors and temp sensor, but that didn't help. The Crank Position Sensor is new with the rebuild. Have any of you experienced something like this with a bad CPS? Any ideas?

Sounds remarkably similar to this:

Thanks

Does it run better if you unplug the MAF?

I recently replaced my M20B27 with a 2.9 stroker. It ran crappy till I changed to a M20B25 MAF.
    (It ran better with the MAF unplugged.)

Comment

No change unplugging the MAF. Checked all sensors at the ecu plug and found the CPS was open (infinite resistance). I’m going to assume the new CPS I bought is bad, though I have no idea how the engine started with a bad sensor.

Comment

Well, I replaced the CPS and cut out and spliced the C191 connector, which was rotted out pretty bad. Fired the engine up and no change, except that it will run quite a bit better with the AFM unplugged (no backfiring, will rev as much as it wants, etc.) The AFM has 5 volts going to it, and resistance changes when i move the flap. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X