Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Slow Engine Turnover Issue

Howdy,

The past couple of months I have been dealing with a perplexing issue. There is a "window" of time in which the car struggles to turnover. If the car has been sitting for about 2 days or longer it will turnover just fine. If the car was recently running and has only been off for a about a half hour it will turn over fine. It's that window in between being off for 30 minutes and about 2 days that it struggles to turn over.

The vast majority of things involved in the turn over process are new or have been replaced (somewhat) recently. The battery, starter, spark plugs, O2 sensor, alternator.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue? Perhaps one of the components that was replaced in the past couple of years has already soured on me.
    '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
    '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
    '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

Define "struggle to turn over"? Crank real slow? Or cranks fine, but difficult getting it to run?

2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

It cranks really slow and stutters. Runs fine once it does fire up.
      '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
      '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
      '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

Comment

Very strange. I would check the battery connections and the ground at the battery. Then the positive connection on the firewall. Also on the starter itself and the alternator. Then the ground for the engine block under the air box.

Did you have the same problem before replacing the starter? If not a connection, it sounds like a bad spot on the starter. Sorry, no easy answer.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
        X