Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 325i is making clicking and humming sound, not starting

Hey everybody,

Two days ago, I bought and drove back this car from an hour away, with almost no issues. Yesterday I was driving and a few times when I pushed the gas down, the power would cut off and it would sputter a bit. At a stop sign I basically floored the car in first gear but it rolled forward very slowly like it was almost about to stall. It took about 5 seconds for it finally start moving normally. I stopped in a parking lot and I left my car idling and got out to take a couple pictures, and after about 3-4 min the car shut off by itself. I went in to turn it on, but it would just click a bunch of times. It sounded like it was the battery, but I knew that the battery was brand new. I got jumper cables and tried jumpstarting it, but it did not work. I tried with 2 different cables. We tried push starting a few times, and it would just not start. The 3rd or 4th time trying to push start, it finally turned on and I was able to drive a mile back home. Here is a video of me trying to start: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Sn...ew?usp=sharing

When I got home, I turned it off. I tried starting it a few minutes later, and it started with no problem. I tested the battery, and from what I can tell, it is all good. This morning the car turned on as well, and I drove around the neighborhood and it sputtered a few times again when I put my foot down, but otherwise it was fine.

This evening I went back to start the car, and wasn't able to again. I know it's not the battery because all the lights were working inside with no flickering. When the key is on the on position there is a weird humming noise coming from the engine bay, and when I try starting the engine it makes the same clicks. Here is a video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXN...ew?usp=sharing

Could the sputtering/power cut off be related to the starting problem?

I did some research, and think that one of these might be causing the power loss:
    -clogged fuel filter
    -throttle position sensor
    -fuel pump
    -sparkplug/sparkplug wires
    -injector relay?

I am not sure what the cause of the car not starting is, I am really confused.

Any help would be appreciated!
    1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
    1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Instagram: alpine325i

As for the starting, look for the easy stuff first. Are the ground straps clean and tight. How about the connection to the starter. Back of the alternator. That click sounds like the solenoid. If all the connections are good, pull the starter and bench test it.

Get a multi-meter and check the output of the alternator (or have one of the auto parts store check it). Without a charging system you can get strange symptoms.

Now, for the cutting out while running, could be electrical but my guess is there is a bunch of debris in the tank which is clogging the pump pick up sock. The symptoms of that are usually cutting out while on the highway and then, after sitting (and the junk falls off the sock) seems to run fine.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Mine made the same clicking noise. Turns out it was the starter. As far as your power loss, it might be the fuel pressure regulator. If you change it yourself, makes sure you look at my other thread about it. Hope this helps and keep us posted as to when you found a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
        As for the starting, look for the easy stuff first. Are the ground straps clean and tight. How about the connection to the starter. Back of the alternator. That click sounds like the solenoid. If all the connections are good, pull the starter and bench test it.

Get a multi-meter and check the output of the alternator (or have one of the auto parts store check it). Without a charging system you can get strange symptoms.

Now, for the cutting out while running, could be electrical but my guess is there is a bunch of debris in the tank which is clogging the pump pick up sock. The symptoms of that are usually cutting out while on the highway and then, after sitting (and the junk falls off the sock) seems to run fine.
        Thanks, I will check it out.
        1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
        1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

Originally posted by No1b4me View Post
          Mine made the same clicking noise. Turns out it was the starter. As far as your power loss, it might be the fuel pressure regulator. If you change it yourself, makes sure you look at my other thread about it. Hope this helps and keep us posted as to when you found a solution.
          Oh okay, I have an extra starter as I have a parts car right now. I will swap the starter and see if that works. Thanks.
          1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
          1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

an ignition service wouldnt hurt either. wires, distributor, ignition coil, plugs. blow out the ICV with brake parts cleaner. perhaps a good ol Italian tune up wouldn't hurt either... floored at 5-6k rpms for a couple miles. burn the carbon off. good luck... sent from hell using tapatalk
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            '90 325i sedan daily driven
            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
              an ignition service wouldnt hurt either. wires, distributor, ignition coil, plugs. blow out the ICV with brake parts cleaner. perhaps a good ol Italian tune up wouldn't hurt either... floored at 5-6k rpms for a couple miles. burn the carbon off. good luck... sent from hell using tapatalk
              Haha, I will start swapping out those parts and see what happens.

Someone told me to see if the VR was worn, I checked it, and it does look pretty worn to me.

Last edited by tuffode; 07-30-2020, 04:02 PM.
              1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
              1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

So I replaced the voltage regulator which didn't fix it. I checked the connections and cleaned them on the starter and it didn't work.

I ended up buying a new starter from FCP, and I just replaced it tonight, and it still isn't turning on!!!

I tried jumping it and it won't turn on. Replacing the starter sucked, and it sucks even more that it didn't fix it. Does anyone have any other ideas? Could it be a bad fuse or relay???
                1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
                1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

What voltage to you get at the starter when trying to start?
                  The ground strap to the engine can get corroded and cause a low voltage to the starter. You can see this by having ground probe on chassis, and then move it to oil pan and see if voltage changes.

(I got a car because it wouldn't start and after removing and testing the starter, the ground strap was corroded.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post
                    What voltage to you get at the starter when trying to start?
                    The ground strap to the engine can get corroded and cause a low voltage to the starter. You can see this by having ground probe on chassis, and then move it to oil pan and see if voltage changes.

(I got a car because it wouldn't start and after removing and testing the starter, the ground strap was corroded.)
                    I tested it again, and the voltage actually drops to 1-2V when I try starting it.

Is the ground strap you are referring to the cable that braided cable that connects to the hood?
                    1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
                    1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

Originally posted by tuffode View Post

I tested it again, and the voltage actually drops to 1-2V when I try starting it.

Is the ground strap you are referring to the cable that braided cable that connects to the hood?
                      The ground strap to the engine goes from the front left frame rail to the oil pan next to the oil level sensor (on the left).
                      The connection to the aluminum oil pan get corroded... Clean it up with emery paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post

The ground strap to the engine goes from the front left frame rail to the oil pan next to the oil level sensor (on the left).
                        The connection to the aluminum oil pan get corroded... Clean it up with emery paper.
                        Wow, I checked and the nut was super loose. I tightened it up, and now it starts right up. I wasted so much time replacing other stuff haha. Thanks for the advice man.
                        1990 325i (Alpineweiss)
                        1990 325i (Brilliantrot)

Comment

look at how much better you know your car now.... glad it all worked out... sent from hell using Tapatalk
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          '90 325i sedan daily driven
                          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
                          X