Cam advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam advice

i have an 87 with the m20 in it, im looking to put a decently big cam in it. Its still going to be a daily driver in the summer months but the car isnt practical anyway. so what cams/ sizes would you guys recommend or stay away from? Ive heard good things about Schrick so thats kinda where im leaning towards.

Originally posted by delphin e30 View Post
    i have an 87 with the m20 in it, im looking to put a decently big cam in it. Its still going to be a daily driver in the summer months but the car isnt practical anyway. so what cams/ sizes would you guys recommend or stay away from? Ive heard good things about Schrick so thats kinda where im leaning towards.
    I assume you have an “i” motor and not the “e” motor (both motors were available for MY 87). In the case of the “e” motor, there are no cam upgrades unless you swap the “i” head.

Personally, I would stick with the stock cam if you plan on dailying it. You can’t just stick a bigger cam on an engine and expect it to run correctly without modifying other things like the head ports, intake manifold, exhaust, etc. A large cam will shift your power curve up and make the car feel sluggish in city driving; this effect is more pronounced the larger the cam. Your idle will also be shit unless you tune the idle speed to be higher as a larger cam demands it.

If you insist on having a bigger cam, go with a mild upgrade like a Schrick 272/284 and no higher than that. You don’t want to deviate too far from the factory tune in these engines for a street-driven car
    Last edited by ZeKahr; 11-01-2020, 10:40 AM.
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Working...
    X