What Internals you Got??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Internals you Got??

So i'm read around on allot of M30 E30 swaps and turbo swaps, but i don't read much about anyone beefing up the internals. Now i know that the stock internals hold allot of HP and are near bulletproof but i'm interested to know if anyone has built theirs up.

Lets hear about those internals!!

The reason you don't hear about it much is because they will take a ton of abuse on the stock parts. The cranks and rods are all (reportedly) forged from the factory. I have seen turbo pistons and rods but unless you are putting out in excess of 500hp they are probably not necessary.

Gotta love the M30! :)
    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

I talked to the owner of a cam grinder last night - he charges extra because the M30 parts are so hard to cut. This seems to be a common theme with these engine parts.

I think there is a a guy in japan running X-rods and you hear about lightweight pistons every so often but honestly you're going to run into waaaayyyy more issues before you need new internals.
      '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Long live the m30!
        ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I've read that the b35 pistons are
          Weak. First thing to break.

Other then that, 500hp should be
          good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
            I've read that the b35 pistons are
            Weak. First thing to break.

Other then that, 500hp should be
            good to go.
            Weak is a relative term. I wouldn't consider a stock piston that takes 300-400 hp all day every day reliably to be weak. Most of the problems that develop in the pistons are due to inadequate fueling from what I understand. Head flow comes into play when you start going for big power as well. Honestly that's a larger hurdle than pistons. Also, 500hp isn't a cake walk. I have only seen one M30 in the US making over 500hp and it was not a mild build. It's not impossible but it's also not just a matter of turning up the boost. Just throwing that out there.
            Last edited by wildstoats; 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM.
            $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

what are you looking to do ?

The question is what range are you looking for pistions, crank, rods if you are looking for a full motor build try MM I have been in a few powerful cars and their is only so much the e30 can take without building the car as well $$$$$

1986 335is-1988 335ist -1991 335istsigpic

Comment

^ well most M30 guys on the forums are waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffless
                that run TCD setups, making maybe 350hp.

No offense to anyone!
                Just some low boosting d00ds making minimal hp that will keep the
                engine alive for 20 years.

Let's look at ottis for one. He must of been making 500 or more boosting
                20psi. On a stock b34.

It IS definitely a matter of turning up the boost.
                I'm not saying you have to stick with 91, and/or no meth injection either.

Comment

good info guys.. thanks

Comment

Let's look at ottis for one. He must of been making 500 or more boosting
                    20psi. On a stock b34.
                    Dyno charts please? Sorry but I'm a bit skeptical. No offense.

Edit: I just looked into his car some more and that is definitely not stock. I wouldn't call a cam and head porting "just turning up the boost". I'm not trying to downplay his car at all, that is one of the nastiest m30 builds I have ever seen but it's not exactly accurate to call it "stock".
                    Last edited by wildstoats; 04-18-2009, 11:32 AM.
                    $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

It's just speculation. Going from his dyno at 14psi.

I'm just talking about how strong the engine is.
                      Porting shouldn't effect how much the engine can take.

Comment

if you are looking for a full motor build try MM
                        that would be the last place to go IMO...

Korman, Powerplant, Paul Burke and others all before MM....
                        Henry @ Powerplant was the guy building the 4.0L M30's at Korman back in the Day....

Comment

It's just speculation. Going from his dyno at 14psi.

I'm just talking about how strong the engine is.
                          Porting shouldn't effect how much the engine can take.
                          Wow.
                          No wait.

WOW.

Just speculation? Interpolation of dyno charts is one of the stupidest things you can use as "evidence."

Porting may not have much of an effect on how much an engine "can take" (though in reality cleaning up the chambers will allow it to be more resistant to detonation and in turn allow "more take") but it will CERTAINLY influence the HP/PSI of boost an engine will develop.
                          Last edited by mafoose; 04-18-2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mafoose View Post
                            Wow.
                            No wait.

WOW.

Just speculation? Interpolation of dyno charts is one of the stupidest things you can use as "evidence."

Porting may not have much of an effect on how much an engine "can take" (though in reality cleaning up the chambers will allow it to be more resistant to detonation and in turn allow "more take") but it will CERTAINLY influence the HP/PSI of boost an engine will develop.
                            The engine had never been opened when it was dynoed, in fact the HG was leaking at the time. So @ 14psi it made 371rwhp/402ftlbs.

Then I pulled the head and just replaced the HG with a stock one and ARP's and ported a little and that's it. The HG popped at 22psi.

Now I just put the cam in and did a little more porting and added the B35 intake manifold and larger turbo. It will see the dyno again.

IMO the stock internals are fine for 500hp
                            Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Good & Tight - you got pm
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                              X