My m30 = overheating slut??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My m30 = overheating slut??

Kinda running out of ideas here...It's boosted but still overheats with the turbo off in traffic, on the highway it stays super cool.

I'm thinking i'm kinda screwed, Im using a 14" fleabay pusher fan and it doesn't help. I would buy a super expensive 2500cfm+ fan but most are too thick to fit between my rad and intercooler...It it matters the intercooler is pretty big and blocks off 1/2 of the rad. Would this have a big effect on the fan's ability to draw in enough air?

Also, just to make sure....from viewing the front of the car the fan is turning counter-clockwise. That's correct right? also the fan blades can be reversed, but i think they're the right way.

Car is a blast to drive but i can't go downtown:(

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

D.

I have a cheap autozone $50 fan and keeps things at 190-195f.
    Doesn't get any cooler on the freeway or in colder weather.
    The intercooler is not your problem.

Perhaps you have the fan going backwards.
    Can you get away with two 14'' side by side?

Pics of the fan setup?

Comment

Turn the fan on without turning the car on, then put your hand in front of the intercooler. If you feel air coming at you, it's blowing the wrong way. If it's only happening when you are going slow or at a stop, it has something to do with your fan.
      How much cfm is it flowing? How much clearance to do have between the radiator and intercooler?

Comment

Did you fill coolant correctly? I know a ton of people think there M30's are overheating but it's airbubbles in the radiator hoses/coolant lines. Might want to try to bleed air out again..there should be a write up in this forum section.

Also, the fan (like others are saying) might be the culpret. I would first check the way the fan is blowing but if you setup a turbo I hope you knew which way your fan was blowing. Second, see if its powerfull enough to blow air through your radiator. I had a small fan and could put my hand on the back of the radiator and not feel a thing. I replaced it with a high CFM fan and it was nice and cool. Also, your car (in traffic and idle) might reach the 3/4 mark..thats just the M30 for you.

Comment

I used the electric fan from my air conditioner, just fabbed a bracket for it, and I can turn it on w/ the a/c button.

I turn it on just for the sake of keeping the car relatively cool whenever I'm driving around the city. I usually keep it off on the highway. With it on, I usually go a bit above 1/4 on the gauge, but even when I forget to turn it on waiting in traffic I've never gone more than a little above halfway. I would imagine you would be okay with your fan unless it's seriously weak.

I would say make sure all the air is out of the system, It takes a bit to get it all out.

I feel the the engine's pain though, sometimes I overheat driving around toronto :giggle:
          Originally posted by LJ851
          I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, been busy so haven't been on for awhile. Im 100percent sure my system is bled, that's not the problem... You guys have me thinking my 14" ebay fan is trash. I noticed i could hardly feel any air going through the rad when it is on(even confirmed the wiring is right so it turns the right way) and while cruising it stays really cool a bit over the 1/4 mark. Sounds like the fan isn't doing its job

Im going to pick up a hayden electric fan since i had one on my old m50 swap and it kept that thing pretty cool in the hot summer w/a 318 rad.

LowR3v'in I'm running the exact same sized intercooler as what you had..Mine blocks a good amount of the rad so i thought it was becuase of that.

Hopefully the new fan works so I can work on upping teh boost.

Comment

Hey e30_kid, how'd that new fan work for you?
              I'm having trouble with the same problem.
              The BMW Bible: http://www.realoem.com

2011 328i xDrive Sedan - DD
              2002 530i - sold
              1994 525i - gave to dad
              1991 345is (M102 Swap) - sold
              1985 325e - sold

Comment

If you have enough room you can also build a shroud to help.

Comment

Pusher fans don't use shrouds.
                  A spal 16'' low profile works out ok.

Comment

I'm also using a 16" Spal pusher but with one of their gasket/seals (got it from Bimmerworld) so no air can escape out the sides. Between that and a good bleed there should be no problem cooling.
                    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                      I'm also using a 16" Spal pusher but with one of their gasket/seals (got it from Bimmerworld) so no air can escape out the sides. Between that and a good bleed there should be no problem cooling.
                      ^This. I was originally running some POS eBay fan with no gasket. That setup was nothing but trouble. I switched to a Spal pusher and haven't had a problem since.
                      $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X