this is f**king stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is f**king stupid

Whoever designed the m30's starter mounting bolt design, should die and rot in hell forever. :hitler::hitler::hitler:

The top one is not bad to get out; but for the love of god how do you get the lower one out. I have tried pb blaster, and other penetrates, oxy acetylene torching both the block, the nut on the back, then the bolt itself, then all three; all to no avail.

Also is there any tool that will fit on this bolt since i have stretched YES stretched my wrench's open end, since the boxend will not fit on the back side of the bolt.

If anyone has had success with removing this bolt please, please, please, please let me know. any help is appreciated.

not sure if this is relevant but this is on my e28 535is not a swap vehicle.
    sigpic

it sounds like it is a siezed bolt, not an install problem. Use PB blaster, let sit for 10-20 minutes, get quality tools and try again. if your tools are breaking or warping over one bolt, return them to k-mart.
    sigpic

Comment

well that would be a bit of an issue returning them to k-mart seeing how they are snap-on wrenches. Also i have tried pb blaster and did wait 30 minutes i am tempted to try an impact crows foot but it will not sit on the bolt evenly. i will try to get pictures later.
      sigpic

Comment

torch it real good then try to remove it. heat ftw!
        84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

tried that, had the torch on it for a solid 8-10 minutes (remember this is oxyacetylene, not propane or MAPP gas) the bolt and block, where the bolt passes through, and the nut on the back were glowing orange, even after i gave up wrenching on the bolt.
          sigpic

Comment

Do you have an older starter on there? Small e32/e34 m30 starters are easier to install/remove and only use two bolts, no nuts.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

How about thermal shock. Hot then douche with ice water?
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

The older b34's had the larger/heavier starter motor and makes it hard to get to one of the bolts.. Use a 17mm multi hex ring spanner rather than an open end. You have more than likely rounded the head off the bold by now so you will have to try to hammer the spanner onto the bolt...
                ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Do you not have air tools?
                  '89 335is +turbo

Comment

no, i have air tools i just have no way of getting the socket on to the bolt itself. since there is no room next to it but i think i am going to try this my friend just linked me to it.

it says top bolt i see no reason why it wouldn't work for the lower bolt.

if that does not work i will probably try the thermal shock method and this is the original starter. from 1987 so ya.

thanx will let you know how it goes.
                    sigpic

Comment

I can't believe that it won't budge after 5 minutes of oxyacetylene on it. That'd be enough to melt the bolt! ><

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

it was starting to melt it that is why i took it off
                        sigpic

Comment

so you prob melted the 3 together? I have never had this much trouble with an m30 starter on an e28 or my e30

its usually just 2 long extensions and a socket and take it out by the rad

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

break out the grinder my friend, and do a dance.
                            sigpic

Comment

Believe it or not, the top bolt is the hard one to get to on the LARGE CASE starters, the b35 starter doesnt even count since you can access the bolts without case interference.
                              If you have room, use the double wrench trick. This is where the 17/19 boxed end BMW HEYCO wrench comes in handy, however you might need to use some PB blaster, liquid wrench etc....You can get that bolt from under the car if need be but its not necessary.

As for the 325i, super eta, and e34, e32, and e24 with the small case starters, a hard starter is an impossibility with the redesigned gear reduction units :D

Comment

Working...
                              X