what to do? m30? s50? turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do? m30? s50? turbo

I am new to the swap/turbo scene and was wondering if i could get some opinions on what everybody thinks/likes?

i have an 87 325i cabrio, and like everyone else, i want more power. my cabby is pretty much a garage queen, as lately i have been trying to get the outside redone, but it is almost winter and i figure it's a good time to start.

i ran across a 92 735i today for $700, car looks and runs good, reverse is out, hence the price. but i thought "snatch the engine and part out the rest." i would like n/a, just because the turbo seems like it is less reliable and harder to work on. i found an s50, but quite a bit more pricey and is it worth it in the long run, although asthetically speaking, i love the way it looks in an e30. any opinions would be nice. i have done some reading, but mainly just found the problems.

if you want n/a power, go s50/2. If you're looking for a turbo beast on the cheap, m30+t is your best bet. Of course you can always turbo the s50 and make insane amounts of power, which = $$$.

Both will run you about the same, depending on your sources for parts and how detailed you get with the swap. A running 735i for $700 is a good deal, considering you can get back most, if not all, of your money back parting it out. Use the rest of your budget for turbo and you'll be sitting at a solid 300whp.

Comment

Turbo is not unreliable.

I swearz.

Comment

Everything is as reliable or unreliable as you make it...
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

m30 turbo will or would be cheaper than a s50/2 swap.... or maybe about the same but with more power! my m30 swap cost me about $900 total.
          84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

I have done both swaps and driven them to compare, IMO the M30 is better all the way around. The M30 has more torque and HP compared to the M50 n/a.
            The stock M30 can easily take 10psi of boost and put down over 300rwhp and be very reliable.
            M50 swap you need a wiring adapter, change the brake booster, deal with the ECU if it has EWS, custom exhaust. Just those 3 things add up to over $500. There are a lot of other things things that add up also.
            Were as the M30 swap is more of a plug and play. Engine mounts can be found easily (i make them) and the front half of a 325e drive shaft bolt right up.
            B35 down pipes slip right over the 325 exhaust.
            Wiring is harness is a lot cleaner no adapter needed.
            Hope this helps.
            Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

all good points, thanks guys. riddle me this, is it worth the extra money to do a swap? would $1k put into the m20 do anything? i'm sure a fresh rebuild would do alot, as my engine has 200k, but better to swap? new engines vs. old engines (technology)?

Comment

If you want more power, then you need to swap. If you're satisfied with the m20, then rebuild it. You're never going to make more power with an m20 than you will with an m30 or s50. IMO not worth it to build the m20 unless you're really in love with the engine.
                Originally posted by LJ851
                I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

been said a million times. no replacement, for displacement.
                  sigpic

Comment

^That's a lie.
                    Force feed it.

Comment

^^^ i love that argue meant force feeding a smaller engine will still make less power than forcing air into a larger motor. kinda obvious but everyone seems to forget that.
                      sigpic

Comment

LS1 done

/thread

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
                          LS1 done

/thread
                          this is a 24v guy not supporting the 24v route, i think that says alot since all the m30 guys in this thread said go m30. Including this one. Go m30 or m30 turbo end of story

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

Originally posted by RickSloan View Post
                            this is a 24v guy not supporting the 24v route, i think that says alot since all the m30 guys in this thread said go m30. Including this one. Go m30 or m30 turbo end of story
                            I like my 24v motor alot more then my sohc m20 or any other 22+ year old motor. The ls1 is the best bang for the buck and dont try and twist my words around like that.

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by RickSloan View Post
                              Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
                              I like my 24v motor alot more then my sohc m20 or any other 22+ year old motor. The ls1 is the best bang for the buck and dont try and twist my words around like that.
                              These threads are silly for this reason etc...
                              ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Working...
                              X