m30 tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 tranny?

hey guys im new so go gently on me but i have been searching for about two weeks on how to identify what type of transmission i have but no luck. if u guys can offer any help i would gladly appreciate it

two common m30 transmissions. g260 and g265. If the bottom of the trans has a waffle look, you have a 265. If you have lined fins, it is a 260.

There are other transmissions that yours may be, but these are the ones that you would likely find on the e28 and e34 535i.

Comment

Manual

G260/5
      Used on 5/6/733s from '83-'84. Non removable bell housing, waffle pattern for case casting. Considered weak and cannot accommodate a M5 clutch. Sheet metal shifter support. Overdrive 5th.

G260/5
      Used on '83-'88 528es, and E30 6 cylinder cars. Same model number as above, but different bell housing bolt pattern and shape, so it’s not interchangeable. Some or most or all of the internal parts may be, but with the cost of used transmissions, it’s irrelevant. Used sheet metal support thru about 86, then used the cast support. Waffle case pattern. Overdrive 5th.

G260/6
      Used on '86-'88 535’s and E34 535s, but they may not have the flywheel sensor holes drilled out. Identify it by the fins on the bottom of the transmission and non-removable case. Overdrive 5th.

G265/6
      Used on '82 528e and '85 535i. Also on '85 6/735, '80-'81 E12, '81-'82 6/733s and E30 M3s. Considered the strongest transmission available for E28’s. Is easily identified by a removable bell housing which allows use on M10, M20 and M30 engines, as long as the correct bell housing is used or reused. All except M3s have a sheet metal shifter support. It’s use in '85 M30 powered cars was reportedly dictated by the short life of the 260/5 in those cars. Overdrive 5th.

G280
      Used on M5/M6s. Close ratio, but overdrive 5th gear.

G265/5
      Never available on US spec cars, it's a close ratio 5 speed similar to the 265/6 overdrive transmission. 5th gear is 1:1. Often incorrectly called a 262 close ratio or dogleg, but a 262 is a 4 speed transmission. All 265’s I’ve seen have the front case casting with a 262xxx casting number, but they are 265s if they are 5 speeds. Removable bell housing and it does have an unusual shift pattern with 1st being off by itself and 4th/5th across from each other instead of 5th being up by itself.

Other notes: Most or all of the linkage parts seem to be model specific, the sheet metal shifter supports while they look the same, aren’t, even if from the same transmission and for the same chassis, i.e. one from a G265 from a 528e won’t work on a G265 in a 535i. I assume this is also the case for the later cast aluminum shifter supports, but I haven’t verified it myself.
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

thanks guys appreciate the help so basically what im reading is that i got a 260/6 tranny, now is the flywheel sensor holes such a big deal or is that just another way to identify the tranny

Comment

What do you mean by "big deal"?
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

sorry kinda tired but i misunderstood what it said in the description

Comment

Are any of these boxes known to be longer than any other, as in, where the shifter linkage sits?

Im running an M30 setup in my E30, using a 325i E30 shifter linkage but its way further back than my friends M30 E30. Like, ive had to cut the floor out to get it to work, using .de style mounts in pos. 3...

Comment

I think the 265 is the longest I've seen.

Shorten the linkage. Chop, weld. Do both the linkage and carrier (but not the selector of course)
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                X