80mph at 4000 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80mph at 4000 rpms

hi i have a 1991 325i that i did the m30 swap out of a 1989 535i. i took the getrag 260 5spd tranny and i believe my car has 3.73 rear end. i think it will top out around 100-105mph. i did not think it would be that low. it accelerates good of course. but gear ratio is not what i thought.

my three series had an auto tranny.

Comment

3.25 is stock gearing for the m30.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        3.25 is one of the stock gearings for the m30.
        fixed.
        Slicktop City!

Comment

What are others?
          Autos don't count.

Comment

Sounds like you have at least a 4.10 in there not a 3.73. With my 3.73 I could still do 140 with room to keep going

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

ya i looked it up the 91is e30 that i have came with 4.10 gears. soo ya that makes sense..guess i need 3.73.

do you guys have any ideas why my windows and heater works when i just have key turned to power to everything. then when i start my car my heater or power windows do not work. but my radio does. i was thinking it could be an alternator wire but they all work??

Comment

and rick how is the acceleration on your car? ever ran in quarter mile or 0-60 time? i still want my car faster but doesnt everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by kylelauffer View Post
                  ya i looked it up the 91is e30 that i have came with 4.10 gears. soo ya that makes sense..guess i need 3.73.

do you guys have any ideas why my windows and heater works when i just have key turned to power to everything. then when i start my car my heater or power windows do not work. but my radio does. i was thinking it could be an alternator wire but they all work??
                  Read this thread:

Comment

the 3.25 or 3.46 gears are the way to go. the 3.73 gears with your trans combo are just too short and i feel like arent as much fun as the 3.25 gears. the beauty of the m30 is the way it pulls thru the gears and if they are short its just not the same.

and i had 2.93's then 3.73's and now i have 3.25s and i love them. it just fells right, JEAN has 3.46 gears and i think that may be the only better option. And everyone i had was an LSD

i have said this in many many threads tho, you really need to look around more.

and no i have not done any 1/4 mile or 0-60 tests but i did an auto cross with the 3.73's and switched to the 3.25's right after

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

thank you very much yert. funny thing is i had that grounded when i wasnt getting spark because i thought that was an issue. but now i know its to accessory and now everything works. but of course my getto exhaust hah

Originally posted by yert315 View Post

Comment

I'm doing 80 @ 4k (according to the cluster) in 5th with my getrag 260 and a 4.27 rear end.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

4.27 ?? Is there such a thing. What cars came with it?

Comment

Z3's came with it.

the 4.27 is absolutely perfect with the 260 gearing, aside from the total lack of a .5 OD 6th gear.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                            Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                              Z3's came with it.

the 4.27 is absolutely perfect with the 260 gearing, aside from the total lack of a .5 OD 6th gear.
                              How many gears changes have you made before you get thru the intersection?

I know that in my M535i which had the 260 and the 3.73, I was shifting before I could get thru a large intersection...

4,27 you would definately be looking at 3rd gear....

with a 3,73, hard acceleration requires 2nd gear starts or very quick first gear shift,,...

I would prefer the 3,46 out of z3 IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X