Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E28 M535 rear end into E30

Hi Guys..

The worrying about the E30 std style Outer CV's has finally got the better of me and I've decided to bite the bullet a bolt a complete M535i E28 rear end under the back of the car to set my mind at ease.

I sourced the rear end and from my basic calculations it seems it's a fairly straight foward engineering excercise to fit this into the E30.

There are a number of differences that are obvious, the E28 crossmember has wider mouting points and it appears that the hub would sit approx. 10mm futher back in the wheel arch it the std relative points were used.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll be cutting off the tublar bush mount on each end of the frame and relocating and welding them back in closer and slightly further back towards the hubs in order to pick up the std E30 mounting bolts on the chassis and put the wheel back in the centre of the arch.

Another problem (well not really is that there are no spring platforms.. bugger.. I'll have to convert to coil overs again from priliminary inspections it appears that although the shock mount is above the hub not under and behind it like the E30 it will still sit about right in the wheel arch picking up a strengthened std upper shock mount...

I haven't investigated the handbrake properly yet, but it appears to be a fairly easy swap also, worst case I'll get the cables reterminated at the right length.

Has anyone had any experience or have more details on the two cars I know have this done (Kilander's E30 and the Green E30 in a recent PBMW mag), as I'm curious as to the solutions to the problems these other owners have employed...

Thanks in advance
    Ben
    E30 BMW + 2JZGTE
    www.cardomain.com/id/BMWTurbo

Sounds like alot of work - have you considered an MZ3 rear end? It almost bolts right up.

Comment

Yeah it bolts straight in from what I've seen, however over here the MZ3 rear ends cost an absolute fortune IF you can find one... I'd have to source it all new, ie well over $2500. This way is much much cheaper and the same outcome.

The M535 trailnig arms also have the shock pick-up almost directly above the centreline of the hub, which means the coil-over spring rate is almost identical to wheel rate, which I see as a bonus.
      E30 BMW + 2JZGTE

Comment

Well had a productive public holiday yesterday, I've managed to tack together and dummy fit the whole rear end :) Few traps for inexperienced players. Tank will need modifying to allow sway bar clearance (May be able to employ E30 style yet I've haven't investigated), New diff mounts to be made as the diff sits slightly further back, and you also need to notch/recess for the diff breather. Aside from that It's all system's go :)
        E30 BMW + 2JZGTE

Comment

Cool, has the diff been moved enough to need a new driveshaft?

Comment

I'm not sure sorry... I'd assume that being about 15-20mm further back it would need changing, but I don't have a tailshsft made up, nor one to test sorry.

Mine is all custom and hasn't been made yet :)
            E30 BMW + 2JZGTE

Comment

Working...
            X