Running on 2 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on 2 cylinders

I finally got the O2 sensor hooked up and, since the car had been running so rich, put in new Bosch Super plugs just in case the old ones were too fucked. Everything is hooked up, connected and should be good to go. But the car barely even runs and won't idle. I checked for heat in the manifolds and only the #6 cylinder seems to be putting out any heat at all. #4 and #5 are warm-ish (could just be heat transfer from #6) and #1-3 are cold as ice. I'm going to check for spark in a minute as soon as I can get an extra set of hands from my neighbor to help out. What's the best way to check for proper injector function? Anything else I should be looking for? I'm a bit stumped on this one.

Is there raw fuel in 1-3?

Tried running it with the stock chip+afm?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

It's stock AFM/tune right now, no Miller stuff at all

Comment

try the long screwdriver/stethascope test on the injectors just to listen for the injector firing "tick tick tick tick" this doest mean your pattern is good but at least you will know if its trying to fire (wiring is good)
        -Mac

feel free to call or text me with questions, i will help best i can.
        1989 325i Alpine s52 coupe
        2003 540i M-Sport 6 speed
        2003 X5 3.0

Comment

I've confirmed i have spark and working injectors on all 6 cylinders, but only #5 and #6 are firing. WTF mate?

Comment

Is the fuel in 1-4 raw or spent?

Comment

sounds like you may have some wires in the wrong place?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                sounds like you may have some wires in the wrong place?
                Im going to agree with this guy, make sure your spark plug wires are hooked up correctly and the ignition AND cam timing is spot on. Im assuming this is a new swap? Ive also seen a m30 do similar things if the main pully front bolt gets loose and the front crank trigger is allowed to get out of sync.

On top of that, I find it extremely hard to believe that any six cylinder motor will actually run on only two cylinders.
                -Dan

Comment

The spark wires were never touched since the engine ran in the last car but I will check them anyway. I'm using the stock m20 harness and everything bolts right up, including the crank trigger (I left the m30 one in place). Next step is a compression test I guess, see if that tells me anything. I'll keep checking wires too.

The engine was definitely getting compression in 2 cylinders only. With brand new plugs, #1-4 were completely clean; no signs of any combustion. But also no raw fuel even though I hear the injector ticking. Plugs from #5 and #6 had just a light coating of carbon indicating those cylinders were firing.

Comment

Darrin, you sure your fuel pump is staying on?

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                      The engine was definitely getting compression in 2 cylinders only.

Im assuming you know what this means, or maybe you misspoke. But if your only getting compression on two cylinders, all the spark and fuel in the world isn't going produce proper combustion.

Does it sound normal when you crank it? Or does it crank really fast with the starter then slow down alot for two cylinders?
                      -Dan

Comment

Just got this text from Darin:

"It helps if you have gas in the tank :extreme facepalm:"

Bahahhahahahahahahahahahhahah

Comment

Yes, you need gas in the tank for the car to run.

Front end lifted up + fuel light on = no fuel. Or at least minimum fuel

Comment

so it runs now?
                            sigpic

Comment

hehe, well that wasy easy lol
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                              X