Translated m60/m62 swap from german write up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translated m60/m62 swap from german write up

Took me a few hours to translate this from a german write up and make sense of it, and now i will share it with you!

e30 m60/m62 v8 swap

As a supplementary to the translation, below you will find various topics covered by RTSAUTO: https://www.rtsauto.com/m60-swap-eliminating-ews-for-404-ecudme/ - Eliminating EWS https://www.rtsauto.com/e30-boosterless-brake-bracket-booster-delete-manual-brakes-for-swap-cars/ - Boosterless Brakes (manual brakes) https://www.rtsauto.com/manualbrake/ - Manual brake calculations https://www.rtsauto.com/wiring-harness-adapter-guide-for-e30-m60-and-obd-1-m62-swap-pinout-and-a-cheap-way-of-getting-x20-and-c101-connectors/ - Wiring harness adapter https://www.rtsauto.com/e30-m60-m62-v8-engine-mounts/ - Engine mounts https://www.rtsauto.com/radiator-and-cooling-for-m60-m62-v8-e30-swap/ - Radiator and Cooling https://www.rtsauto.com/mounting-an-m60-m62-without-subframe-spacers-and-without-drivetrain-angle/ - Mounting an M60 / M62 V8 Into an e30

Enjoy
    Last edited by noid; 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM.
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

That's awesome dude! Thanks! This might be my final swap in a few years - I was kinda hoping e30's would become smog exempt someday!
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

omg! thank you!
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

That is awesome, love a v8 swapped car one day.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Thank you! Google translate was getting annoying
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

WOW. That swap is a match made in heaven. Looks so good in the bay!

Comment

I quite like this one better it looks like it was ment to be this way:
              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

Hiya, nice job translating the whole package. Here're some remarks i made, i completed my M60 to E30 swap couple of months ago. Here're some project pictures. They are not to be used without permission from photographer (me)!

The M62 features include the following changes:
                double temperature sensor in the water pump housing, heated thermostat housing, oil filter housing does not sit on the chain case housing, OT donors no longer in front but the back of the gearbox, dual-mass flywheel with Inkementenrad (whats a inkementenrad?)

Thermostat housing not heated nor has double sensors, opening of thermostat is controlled with electronics. Dual mass flywheel was used also in m60, but now it has bot the TDC and revolution teeth.

2 knock sensors allow an operation with optimal ignition near the knock limit

There are total of 4 knock sensors.

The engine block is aluminum, so the complete V8 engine weighs only a little more than an M50. Due to the short version (im guessing short length because it is wider then an m20 however shorter in length) an excellent handling E30 is achieved

M60 / M62 engine with all ancillaries without gearbox weights around 210kg, whereas M50 is around 190kg and M20 around 170kg.
                Due to engine being physically shorter the weight distribution is maintained in acceptable levels. Common weight distribution is 55/45.

The cylinder surfaces were vulnerable to the first years of construction, the amount of oil consumption on highway travel is a good measure of the condition of the engine

This is due to nikasil issues in countries using lead in their fuels, later factory used alusil which is compatible with leaded fuels also.

The DME 3.3 (BOSCH), including mass air flow sensor controls the fuel injection and ignition. An error in the memory controller allows for extensive diagnostics with real values. The controllers have the end number 404 and 484 (with EMS

It has diagnostic capabilites so error tracing is easier.

A gem and the current maximum of BMW V8 engine is the S62. A 5-liter engine with VANOS and 400 hp. The conversion in the E30 is possible.Main difficulty is bus to CAN which is missing in the E30. It can be simulated using the Black Boxe and thus persuade the engine running (im guessing stand alone, things like megasquirt and VEMS [Versatile Engine Management Systems]). Alternatively, a programmable control system should be installed. VANOS should also be kept in mind. Some projects in this direction are currently in progress. More information to follow.

S62 has double-VANOS. e30.de offers programming of original ECU to disregard CAN-things and make it work in E30 so it’s totally doable. Cheap aftermarket ECUs aren’t to be used with S62, they just aren’t up to the task.

costs
                One should replace or check crankshaft and gearbox shaft seals, clutch and all oilpan gaskets because those can't be replaced once the engine sits in place. Left engine mount has O-rings which should be replaced. Valve cover gaskets should be replaced also. These all add to costs.

5.0 The new E34 brake booster must be mounted on the left front (left front from passenger seat), producing linkages, adjust brake lines

The brake booster setup can be whatever one likes, not necessarily from E34. Relocating ABS is though necessary.
                Footwells don’t have to be worked. Transmission and engine can be lifted in as one complete package, that way avoiding the bolting of transmission in the engine bay.

The number 2 is a position that depicts a measure of distance. The engine sits far back and has at the narrowest point approximately 1 cm distance to the unmodified firewall.It fits easily when using a E28 535i Radiator.
                The number 3 is designed for uncompromising running changes, the engine sits 25mm further back again, the floor panel will have to be worked on accordingly.

According to my swap, motor position 3 is not achievable. There’s only very little space in between steering column and oilpan, so the motor can’t go further back (I’m using position 2).

20mm Spacer plates for setting the E30 front axle lower should be used to improve the alignment of the engine, gearbox, drive shaft and diff. Ontop of that is the benifit of the hood being able to close without further modification

Engine can also be fitter without spacer plates, though then it’s recommended to lift gearbox tunnel a bit so the engine-gearbox angle stays reasonable. There’re no hood clearance problems.
                When dropping subframe by 20mm you can fit E34 / E32 coolant expansion tank with barely enough space. Radiator of e28 535 won’t be effective enough in hot countries.

We now come to a difficulty and a con to a v8 swap; the brake booster. The large V8 engine does not allow installation of the brake booster (BKV) in its original place in the E30. The BKV, including master cylinder must be placed, as is the case in the E32 and E34; to the front left of the car (from drivers seat). Therefore, BKV, including aluminum frames are used in these models.

Also other options, like pedal box, hydro booster, BKV in modified firewall etc. Not always necessarily the E34 booster behind left front light.

Notes on ABS in the E30
                , the ABS hydraulic unit of the E30 with a V8 conversion can be added. The effort is significant, it must all be renewed and brake lines must be extended. The cable must also be extended to the ABS. For pure summer vehicles, especially associated with larger brake system; should be omitted.

Relocating ABS is very simple operation, just lengthen the wires, make mounts and new brake lines. No big deal.

The transmission tunnel is very narrow, but if one side of two bridges on the transmission is removed then it will fit without modification in the E30 tunnel.

Fits also without modifications.

suitable drive shaft for the V8 conversion is by using the E30 M3 drive shaft. When 5-speed gearbox is used it fits without modification. With a 6 speed transmission it must be reduced about 7cm.

Considering strength, stronger 540 front part should be used always with 6 speed transmissions and preferably also with 5-speed boxes. There’re couple of twisted shaft front parts in V8 E30’s..

umgeschweisst (welded im guessing).

Yes, welded.

The muffler from the E38, E32 and E34 are less suitable on the e30. The E39 from year 2000 (indicated by the small cats right after the elbow) has proper headers on board. These pants pipes are relatively rare and cost about 300-400 EUR

Should be; the exhaust manifolds from E32, E34 and E38 aren’t suitable to V8 E30. E39 from 2000 on and X5 exhaust manifolds (having small catalysator right after the elbow) have proper dimension. These manifolds are quite rare and cost around 300-400€.
                The exhaust manifolds can of course be fabricated from scratch also.

Vehicles with automatic transmission have transmission control integrated and a lot of unnecessary cables and connectors tend to be inappropriate, though making it work in an E30 is possible

EWS is also problem in newer (after ’95) models. For those you need the key, ring and EWS module.

Speed signal , the V8 engine from E32 and E34 is configured with the speed signal of the E30. The speed signal is on all of the green pins (detachable) connector behind the speedometer on the back of the E30 cluster directly. There, use cruise control and proper sized rims/tires to get the speed signal. Below the number of parts needed to plug the signal siphoning there

"Speed signal is on all pins of GREEN CONNECTOR on the instrument cluster, NOT an all green pins."
                Speed signal is used by cruise control, so you can get it from there. You need to use correct size rims/tyres.
                E34 speed signal comes from where to instrument cluster, diff or ABS? E38 and E39 get the speed signal from ABS, so getting E30 speed signal (which comes from diff) isn’t suitable.
                Last edited by Jonsku; 05-30-2010, 12:26 AM.
                - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                - E46 318i Touring -
                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Any chance of translating the S38 swap on the same site?
                  www.eurowinnipeg.com
                  www.E30S38.com
                  E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

Comment

give me the specific link and ill see what i can do

Comment

Here's one write-up of the swap: http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hoste...338/f01338.htm

I just don't understand why the people ask others to do the translation for them, google translator isn't so hard to use. Lazy bastards...
                      - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                      - E46 318i Touring -
                      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Google translate is half ass at best.
                        www.eurowinnipeg.com
                        www.E30S38.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                          give me the specific link and ill see what i can do
                          Thanks!

www.eurowinnipeg.com
                          www.E30S38.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sharino View Post
                            Google translate is half ass at best.
                            Then use the dictionary or learn proper languages!

Sry for OT.
                            - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                            - E46 318i Touring -
                            - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Working...
                            X