m30 swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 swap question

hey guys im looking for some guidance i am wanting to do the swap and frank just emailed me his DIY walkthrough. Anyways the question is i have my old 85 535i with 210,000 miles sitting in my dads driveway that is worth more in parts than selling it whole and last year i put full new ignition and cooling system in it so i have most of the parts there but in reading the walkthrough franks says the early b34 isn't the ideal motor. would it be worth it to sell the e28 and try to find a b35.
    thanks guys

josh i

If you can get a good deal on a b35 it will be easier as it already has the right oilpan (probably) and the electronics should plug into your late model wiring. But a free b34 has plenty of potential in my book too. What you have goes a long way in deciding what you do. At least that's the way I operate.

Comment

here is a pic of the e30 and e28

honestly i want a b35 but its hard for me to think oh well there goes a tranny, radiator, front half of a DS, etc. ya know but i could probably get 1500 for it and find a good e34 donor for a motor too.
      Also i kind of have to wait till January or so because that is when my apt lease is up and the fiancee and i are looking to rent/buy a house so i will have a garage to myself finally :)

Comment

you'll end up throwing most of the parts from the b35 on there anyway (motronic 1.3). If you have a junk yard near you, most of the bits can be had for cheap

Comment

You should be able to use the radiator, trans, shifter, cooling hoses, and if you ever plan to turbo it, b34 would be the way to go.
          '86 E30
          '05 E53 X5
          '72 Firebird
          '10 Prius
          '03 Tundra

Comment

B34 FTW...but that's just 'cause I'm an e28 guy.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Which transmission is in your e28, its prob a 265, which is not ideal for fitting in an e30. It has been done but the 260/6 mated to the b35 is much easier. B34's also have to coolant outlet on the back of the head, not good for pushing the motor back as far as possible
              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Working...
              X