Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a 1990 535i manual trans. car - Maint. question oil spay bar for cam

Hello,

I read about problems with the oil spray bar for the cam on the M30 engine. Is this a matter of tightening it or do I need some parts? Opening up in a few days :)

Anything special to look for? It has 155,000 miles.

Chuck

wanna sell the trans to me?
    sigpic

Comment

It is basically a matter of tightening it, but I can't remember the exact details. I don't remember the torque specs. It seems like I was told to use a little loctite on the bolts, and I do mean a little. Possibly there was something about some washers...copper washers perhaps?? Can anyone verify this for him? I simply can't remember.

Comment

Taken from the M535i SIG Website:

Banjo Bolts and Valve Adjustment

In the head, on top of the cam, there is an oil sprayer bar that directs oil to lubricate the cam and rockers. The oil spray bar bolts are hollow bolts through which oil passes through, into the oil sprayer bar. Now, these bolts tend to come loose in time from vibration. This can happen in as little as 20k miles, or as long as 150k miles, there is really no "set" mileage that this happens.

BMW has issued a new bolt to fix this problem. Really, what it is is the same bolt with a tad of locktite on the threads. But it is a new partnumber and the old bolt (with no blue locktite) and the new bolt are differentiated by a round circle engraved in the head of the new bolt. The part number for these bolts is 11 42 1 738 621.

Any good (i.e. knowledgable) BMW mechanic should know about this problem on M30s. And whenever you get a valve adjustment (which should be every 15k miles or 1-2 years), the mechanic should check the torque on those bolts. So long as you do that, you should have no problem. Even with the "old" bolts.

BTW, a valve adjustment on these cars should run around $100, give or take. This includes a new valve cover gasket. That is the only repair that I'd take, and have taken, my car to a mechanic to. You really need to get a "feel" to adjust the valves on M30s. It's an art in itself. But if you do do it yourself, you have to do with the engine stone COLD, because otherwise you won't do a good job. (Leave it sitting overnight). Oh, and you will also need a method to turn the engine (remote starter, big socket and wrench to turn crankshaft rotating nut, etc).
        Written by Chris Graff '01
        $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Comment

Basically, take a peek under your valve cover. If the spray bar bolts have a circle on the top, you're good to go. If they don't, pull them, clean them, and add LocTite to the threads. Or--better yet--get the official updated bolts so the next owner has some peace of mind when they have the same question.

I was pleased to see the little circles on mine.

Comment

Working...
          X