Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo m30 swap

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the e30 community, but not to the bimmer community. I recently purchased a 1986 325es. I just finished restoring my suspension with all new bushings,control arms, and a set of ie stage 3/billy sports.

Over the next year I plan on purchasing either an m30b35 or another engine and building a turbo set up while I'm at school. I am going to an automotive school so ill have access to all the resources I may need (experienced teachers/tools) I was wondering what would be the best bang for buck engine to go with for a turbo. I thought about building a 2.7i stroker, but I am not sure of the possible gains, and if it would be more worth it to go that route.

Basically what I am asking is, which engine would you guys recommend for a turbo build that would put down the most hp/dollar.
    Im sorry if this has been covered a million times, which im sure it has, but i tried searching and couldn't find enough information to help me decide.

Thank you,
    Benny

M30B35 or M52 + boost, hard to go wrong with either one. They are cheap, simple to swap and can make more hp than you'll be able to use lol
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

that seems like the route im going to be going, i just wanna hear some more opinions.
      do you know what kind of numbers a boosted m30 could be putting to the wheels?

Comment

there is a lot of threads with details on both the builds, check out Blunts current 318is to m52 turbo conversion build, also search for threads by Good & Tight.

When done I want to see it in person. Welcome.
        sigpic
        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

thanks, i actually purchased this car from someone out in jersey and he reccomended guten parts if i ever needed anything

Comment

2.7 stroker is throwing your money away.
            0.2L increase! POWERFULL

M30 is a bolt on swap except for custom motor mounts brackets.

How much power do you want? How much money are you willing to put into it?

M20 turbo might be all you need and is the cheapest route. Ebay turbo manifolds are cheap.
            M30 e30 turbo manifolds are not so much.

Best power/money value is a turbo m20. Hope that helps.

Comment

Money wise id say for now I would put in 5000. I wanna be putting around 300hp to the wheels, but still have room for improvment after that, that's the only reason I am thinking m30 would be the route to go rather than a turbo m20

Comment

For $5000 I think you could put well over 400 to the wheels on either an M20 or an M30. But I would recommend a 24V swap + turbo.

Comment

You can easily make 400+whp with an m30 turbo. There is a member on here (bmw335isturbo) who did almost 500whp when using a MM Stage 3 head and about 21lbs of boost. But he also found it nearly undriveable.

A 2.7i could be a great place to start. You get an extra 200cc of displacement and a low CR perfect for dumping in boost. 300whp should be easily attainable if built and tuned correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                    You can easily make 400+whp with an m30 turbo. There is a member on here (bmw335isturbo) who did almost 500whp when using a MM Stage 3 head and about 21lbs of boost. But he also found it nearly undriveable.

A 2.7i could be a great place to start. You get an extra 200cc of displacement and a low CR perfect for dumping in boost. 300whp should be easily attainable if built and tuned correctly.
                    400-500 is what i want to shoot for in the end. I feel the 2.7i would leave me limited to tops 300ish. Do you think the cost of building a turbo m30 that could make 300-400hp could be done for under 5000?

Comment

Yes. Easily.
                      Check out GnT's stuff. He kept saying that he never did any bottom end work. That is the best part.
                      All the research has been done, all you have to do is find quality parts, at a bargain.
                      Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by bennym39 View Post
                        Do you think the cost of building a turbo m30 that could make 300-400hp could be done for under 5000?
                        Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                        Yes. Easily.
                        Check out GnT's stuff. He kept saying that he never did any bottom end work. That is the best part.
                        All the research has been done, all you have to do is find quality parts, at a bargain.
                        What he said.

Comment

Thank you guys for the info and fast responses, I think I'm pretty set on doing an m30b35 turbo sretup. Hopefully ill get started on this february. Ill be sure to post updates on here once I get started :)

Comment

... as if the swap hasn't been documented enough, I'll be starting my B35 swap here before Thanksgiving...
                            Hopefully we'll make more mistakes for you to learn from. I think it's all been covered.
                            I'm all about checking out pictures, I think most people are. PNs and instructions are great, but I'll be taking PLENTY of pictures for future swaps. Good luck!
                            Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by ldsbeaker View Post
                              ... as if the swap hasn't been documented enough, I'll be starting my B35 swap here before Thanksgiving...
                              Hopefully we'll make more mistakes for you to learn from. I think it's all been covered.
                              I'm all about checking out pictures, I think most people are. PNs and instructions are great, but I'll be taking PLENTY of pictures for future swaps. Good luck!
                              Thank you! I am planning on documenting the entire process also as i love taking pictures and it will only help people

Comment

Working...
                              X