Head bolt tightening order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head bolt tightening order

Hey guys, i'm sorry if this has been covered (didn't see the threads), but i'm looking to find a head bolt tightening pattern for my m30b35 and the suggested torque i'm supposed to use.

I know the m50 has one that looks like this:

11 o 9 o 3 o 1 o 5 o 7 o13 o
    14 o 8 o 6 o 2 o 4 o10 o12 o

But I'm not sure on the m30b35's.

Thanks,

-Danny
    sigpic

Bolt order is the same as what you have up there. Torque, well, I can't remember off hand. Sucks 'cause I just did an M30 head too....Here's something from mye28:

About 3 weeks ago I had to do a head gasket swap on my 535i. Rather than follow the procedure in the Bentley manual , I used the S38b35 torque values.

First value 37 lb-ft. ran the pattern twice.

Waited 30 minutes

Second value 57 lb-ft, again ran the pattern twice.

Started getting dark so I picked up tools.

Next morning 74 lb-ft, two passes.

Thats it, no retorque after running. So far so good. The S38b35 procedure seems to work just fine.
    ...and something else for you guys who are gonna make a sh*tstorm out of this:

...letting things relax and checking torque the next day is allways a good idea. Your method of keeping at least 20lbs in between pulls is the proper way to torque a cylinder head and is commonly overlooked.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Sweet man, thanks for the info.

One more question: It being an aluminum head, and aluminum being a softer material, is it ok that I will be putting the head on in around 30 degree weather, or will that cause the head to change shape?

These may seem like dumb ass questions, but I just want to be careful and avoid any issues down the road.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't think the temperatures will cause you any problems. As long as you go nice and steady and don't put them in with an impact gun, you'll be OK.

Comment

Awesome, looks like i'll be putting the head on this weekend. Thanks for the info guys.
          sigpic

Comment

I figure with everything the same temp it'll be ok. Now if the head were 30 degrees and the block 80 degrees there may be a problem, but I think you'll be fine.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
            X