Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tightened my head down THE WRONG WAY AROUND!

Intake manifold is now on the exhaust manifold side... Will my m30 run okay like this?

Cheers.
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
      I tightened my head down THE WRONG WAY AROUND!

Intake manifold is now on the exhaust manifold side... Will my m30 run okay like this?

Cheers.

Seeing as you're in Aussie land, yes.:up::p
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

If you have bought items from me, please leave feedback below.
      If you are a BUYER, Check My Feedback.:up:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=183860

Check out my Euro Build Thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=215557

Comment

i'm building up an m30b35 and looking at the manual the torque specifications are slightly different than what you followed OP. is everything still ok on your block/gasket?

any others using this thread's torque procedure able to chime in?

Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

The torque specs I listed are for the s38 engine. I'm unsure why the manual calls for a torque to yield spec as the Head bolts are NOT stretch bolts on the m30.

I've done countless m30 head gaskets using these specs. Not one has failed yet.

Comment

thanks! if it's good enough for an m engine it's good enough for my b35.
            sigpic

Comment

I just want to Add a few things.... DEFINITELY take your head to a reputable machine shop and have it checked while it's off.... It will most likely need a valve job, some valve stem seals, and maybe even a surface... Keep in mind this is obviously extra money, but well worth it.

Great write up though! Really awesome resource for people.
              Turbo m30 drift car build.
              500whp or bust.
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256525

Comment

Great write up

This is definitely one of the best write ups I've seen on the M30b35 head. I'm actually about to put a completely different M35 head on mine and was wanting advice on how to make sure the head timing is set correctly before I bolt it on.

Comment

wait what?
                  it's not stretch bolts on m30s?
                  so where am i being misinformed, my bmw dealer and the local au2parts store or here?

Comment

Is that a serious question?
                    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

not really, i'm assuming my bmw dealer and local au2parts knows their shit.

Comment

After reading a lot on the subject the most consistent info I could find is that M30 headbolts are not torque to yield and can be reused if they pass a good visual inspection whereas M20 and M50 bolts are not to be reused. M30 headblots are hex head wheras m20 are Torx. I suppose if you are building an all out M30 it can't hurt to use new bolts or even studs but for the majority of the headgasket jobs they can be reused without issue. Make sure to chase and clean out the holes in the block, make sure the head is straight , make sure the bolt threads show no deformation, galling, etc. and you should be good to go.
                        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Photobucket -> Screws us good!

A big, big, big thank you to Photobucket and their brilliant idea to no longer offer free 3rd party hosting :coolphoto: They have screwed us all pretty good, making essential images disappear overnight... But $400/year is all it costs

you for their service:rippedoff: ...Goodbye Photobucket! RIP :hitler:
                          Save

Comment

Working...
                          X