M30 engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 engine mounts

I have started an M30 engine swap about a 6 weeks ago. I just got the head back from the shop. I tore the entire M30 down and am rebuiding. The question I have is does anyone have specs on the motor mounts for the M30 in position 3. I know that they sell them on 335i.de but it seems stupid to buy them for $300. The reason are the Euro is stronger than the dollar so that is a bust, I have to pay shipping from Germany, and the cost of materials is cheaper in the US. So why does it make sense to build them with more expensive materials then ship them all the way over here. I have some friends in a shop that could weld it up for $50, less than the shipping charges on the mounts from Germany.

I dont mean to sound cheap but spending all that extra money for nothing is just stupid. If anyone has specs on them that would be great. If not I will just go under there and fab them up myself. Advice anyone?

By the way I saw the post on the mounts for the older engines but I am looking for info on the mounts for the E34 M30. If anyone has any info that would be great.

Comment

I've got a set of the ones for the older Engine I'm going to look into getting copied. some where on here a guy from the UK Posted pictures and measurments of the E34 style mounts. Over on www.e30zone.co.uk Karan was having copies made of the E34 e30.de mounts not sure if any are still available or not.
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

DOn't know how far you made it on this project yet, but I used the stock aluminum motor mount brackets and welded two support brackets to the sides of the engine bay once I had the engine all level. I used the Ireland Engineering Urethane Motor Mounts. This helps the engine from smacking around so much as the angled motor mounts tend to do.

BMW335ist just made two flat plates and some custom mounts to fit his turbo.

I can take some measurements tonight if you are still intersted. I would just get two straight brackets, 3/8 - 1/4" thick steel plate and have someone talented with a welder attach them to your front subframe.

Then you will be good to go.

Comment

If you could make a couple of measurements that would be great. I do not have motor mounts yet so this is definately an option. Maybe a pic too if you could. Is the motor far enough back to use the stock fan with the 525 radiator? I guess I could just move it a little further back in need be.

Comment

No, its not back far enough for a fan. I would had to have used an electric fan in front of the radiator. I would recommend that path because it allows you to use stock shifter parts. Hammering the firewall to put the engine back further would require more modification that I would choose to do, but its your call.

Engine Positioning and Installation - my brief writeup on the brackets. I'll make measurements as soon as I can.

Comment

Hammering the firewall to put the engine back further would require more modification that I would choose to do, but its your call.
              It takes 5-10 mins.... used a nice lead mallet for the inital work - then a carpenter's hammer to finish it off.

You can also massage the passenger footwell an inch or two to allow for more exhaust clearence.
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Don't mind George... he's all about beating firewalls like a $2 hooker...

I still say its not necessary, although I did remove power steering and air conditioning in my install. I took turns at 70+mph and didn't feel anything, but I also had a GC coilover kit... the car handled fine.

I would take getting heavier springs over having to hammer the firewall and modify shift linkage.

Love you George!

Jared

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                  some where on here a guy from the UK Posted pictures and measurments of the E34 style mounts.
                  If you need those pictures PM me your email ady and i will send them to you ?

Comment

Could I get those pictures too please? :) bmwguy17@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X