Lower e28 Rad Hose Short??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower e28 Rad Hose Short??

I spent a few hours trying to figure out why my lower e28 rad hose won't fit anymore. Here is the background info:
    - 86 e30 / b34
    - e28 rad
    - previously installed b34 melted down at the track so I built another one and installed it this weekend (I have lots of b34's laying around so I'm going to use those up before I buy a b35)
    - everything installed as normal - no issues

Went to attach the lower rad hose and now it's about 2" too short - what the heck?? The motor is in the exactly same position

Our front frame was bent when we killed out last motor but the body shop got the car straight so I don't think that could have changed anything.

Any ideas? I temporarily found one at the parts store I made work but I don't like it.

Thanks

My only thought is that you mounted your engine arms in the different holes meant for the sixer. But I would expect that would move a whole lot more than the hose.

Is the thermostat housing the same?

Comment

The motor mounts are at the same location - that's what I initially thought as well.

I can't find the thermo housing I had on previously but all of my b34 stuff is from 86-87 535is cars lined up in my backyard. I don't think they changed over the two years did they?

Very weird - If I un-bolt my rad and lift it up 2" everything is good... Damn hose just came off 3 months ago with no fit issues.

Comment

just spitballing. are you using the same rubber mounts as before? maybe you had m20 rubbers before and this time you used e28 rubber mounts. There is a difference in height.

Comment

I am having the same iisue but with a B35 using Otis mounts in the back holes so the motor is fight against the firewall and I have E12 rubber motor mounts I think. Lower radiator hose is about 2" too short with the E28 hose and no way is that cuased by the rubber mounts being too tall. They may be slightly taller than E30 mounts but not 2" for sure. I am using the E34 t-stat housing.

Also wondering what exact hoses and splices people used with the setup siilar to what I have and using the stock late model coolant reservoir on the left fender well. I am keeping the heater box functional and the hoses to the heater core are a tight fit around the back of the intake. I am trying to keep the hoses as simple and clean as possible but haven't yet come up with a final setup that has minimal bends, splices, is not hanging loose, etc.

So lets see some more details on cooling and heating hose setups with pics hopefully.
          Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X