Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M40 Starter just doesnt want to work.

Hey guys,

First off allow me to introduce myself, im Jack from Holland and i own a 89' alpineweiss 316i. Recently i have started to replace the engine because of a slipped timebelt. It is now sporting a m40 from an 94' e36 316i. Everything was fine and dandy until the moment i tried to start it. Now i know there are loads and loads of threads on this subject since i've been trying to find the answer for the last week or so now. I've got the ETM's for both the e30 and e36 but i cant seem to figure out what is wrong.

All i get is a fairly loud click coming from the starter as i turn the key into start position. When i turn in back into run position i hear a second click. (i suppose this is the probe activating and retracting) The starter wont start cranking the engine. It is hooked up with the big 12v cable and the two smaller (8 and 10) to the left and right of it.

I thought i had the wiring all figured out because;

-I jumped the starter and it fired up immediatly
    -When i turned the key into start position i saw rearwindow heater light turn off.
    -I think ground should be okay because i renewed it, but then again there is only 1 ground cable right? (left engine mount)

Secondly, when i was trying to fix this yesterday, the blower didnt work at all, yet today it did and it didnt stop blowing with key in start pos. With my old e30 m40 engine i never had a k5 or k7 relay in my fusebox, but now after reading all these threads i feel like i might be needing them?

I've really been going crazy trying to figure this out. Going to crack at it again tomorrow, any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
Working...
X