Reference sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference sensor?

This is concerning my engine swap. Got the motor from an '89 735i, and I was wanting to know if I needed to use another sensor on the bellhousing. According to http://www2.bimmerpartswholesale.com...ensor&dp=false it says I need two. I have the one on the front of the motor for the crank. Which one gives the tach. signal? Also, which port would it go into on the bellhousing as there are two? The one closest to the front or the rear one, or another way to put it would be either the driver's side or passenger's side? Can anyone help me with these questions?

There website is wrong, that sensor you linked to goes to the Front of the crank and reads the toothed main pulley, the 2nd sensor you need goes on the #6 plug wire.
    The newer B35 engines did away with the sensors on the bellhousing and moved them onto the engine like on the 87 up 325i e30's.
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

So, on my '89 735i motor I do NOT need the bellhousing sensors?

Comment

nope

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
          nope

Sweeeeet. Thanks man.

Comment

No problem, FYI the E30 crank sensor can be used in place of the 735i one. I used my stock 88 325i sensor with no problems wit the 735i Motronic 1.3 ecu

Comment

Yea, the sensors are the same...
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Just thought of something today. Does this motor need an injection or ignition control module?

Comment

nope, all built into the ecu

Comment

Okay just making sure cuz I tried to find replacement modules but they were never listed. So, I guess that would be why they didn't list them.

Just for a little more clarification on something. What are those plugs for that are bundled up with the ECU plug? There are like 2 or 3.

Comment

What year and model engine harness? some cars have the Connector for the auto tranny computer, then there are 2 small connectors for the On board computer and AC input to tell the ECU when the AC is on.

Comment

It's from an '89 735i automatic.

Comment

ya so it probally has the large connector for the Auto tranny computer then(assuming it had an electronic sport tranny)

Comment

Yeah, I would say that it had the sport tranny cuz I always noticed a switch for "manual" shifting when I was looking for the neutral safety switch. Thanks again for all your help. You're a life saver. ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X