Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of an M30 swap??

Hello M30's
    I would like to receive a best guestimate (if cost was not tracked) of an M30 swap. I've seen so many M30's on our locals pick and pull, therefore engine and transmission are available locally sense saving good amount of $$$. So, how much more should I need to budget for a complete swap?

I spent around $2k for everything. YMMV.
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

millions

Comment

we did one in the lemons car for about $350. Motor was 200 complete, mounts were fabricated ("free"), trans was 80 bucks from a junkyard, exhaust manifolds were 40 bucks from the yard with downpipes, we used a pep boys tailpipe twin-tip thing as an exhaust Y and thick-wall square steel tube as engine mounts. E36M shifter using stock e30 linkage mounted to early shift plate bolted to the trans tunnel (so like 20 bucks for parts). It hauls ass!

Realistically, that is a ghetto-ass lower bound and you have to get lucky.
        cars beep boop

Comment

Aside from the engine, trans, motor mounts and exhaust work it's pretty inexpensive. The wiring harness is stock motronic 1.3, the shift linkage and driveshaft are stock. I bet you could do it for $1000.

Comment

$1000 seems very doable!!
            Last edited by amcink; 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I prob spent 1800 after all was done but i regasketed the engine and found a kit for a good price. chances are to do what i did will be up around 2500.
              motor, mounts, 5sd tranny, e28 radiator, proper driveshaft, harness, 533 flywheel, computer, headers to o2 bung-750
              spec stage 1 e28 535i clutch kit -350
              exhaust fab 160
              block gasket set and head gasket set -400
              tensinser and water pump, some seals for tranny..idk 100
              paint, misc. shit 100

The Build:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Expect close to $2000 unless you're dropping it straight in without giving a shit - "while I'm in there" adds up (and is a good idea tbh)
                '89 335is +turbo

Comment

4k + for me. Not so bad when you sell your old engine and trans though.

:(
                  Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Originally posted by csermonet47 View Post
                    4k + for me. Not so bad when you sell your old engine and trans though.

:(
                    4K ouch. What happen? did you had some one else do it? if you did . How much was labor?

Comment

Change all the gaskets and seals, timing chain guides, tensioner. All of that without removing the head. It might add a few dollars but its worth it in the long run and its sooo much easier when the engine is out.

Comment

Originally posted by amcink View Post
                        4K ouch. What happen? did you had some one else do it? if you did . How much was labor?
                        Unexpected head work and machine shop charges of around $750, unexpected exhaust work of $700, unexpected driveshaft costs coming to around $600. Didn't get all the money back in parting the donor car I bought. It was a learning experience for sure. So many little things that added up. I think it was worth it in the end though:

Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

^ nice job!

OP - do it right, at least regasket it.
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

^^ very clean engine. What car model/year did that m30 come out of. The TB sensor hook on yours is diffenet then my m30. Same kind of connector on my s38. Also found that my engine burns rich with the mustang injectors with the rest of the set up being completely stock. Id prob switch back if i had the stock injectors. Does yours burn rich?

The Build:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

I would estimate my spending at about 6k+ but I rebuilt the motor, added MS, and went turbo so take that price for what it's worth.

You could definetly do it for a lot less. I could have done it for about $800 replacing lot's of seals and getting all new hoses and such. I got a perfectly running donor car from an old boss for the price to tow it to my house(brake lines were leaking and a caliper was seized up).

Sometimes you just gotta get real lucky or be patient in your search for parts.
                              89 325i: 86 535i motor+trans, JE forged pistons, MLS head gasket, ARP head studs, Comp turbo, GoodNTight b34 turbo manifold, e30.de motor mounts, AKG 75D engine/trans mounts, custom 3" exhaust, intercooler, MS2PNP, Megan Racing Coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                              X