m30b32 swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30b32 swap questions

Before I get flamed, I have spent hours researching the following questions and I am more confused now than when I started.

A little background here. I bought a 105k, auto, m30b32 a couple of months ago to flip. I pulled the motor and made arrangements to leave the motor at the yard for a couple of weeks with the intention of selling it on CL and having the buyer pick it up from there. I paid $100 for the motor, harness, dme, auto trans and 3.46 diff. I kept the diff for myself.

The motor sold for $300 within a couple of days and I gave the guy details as to where to pick it up and let him know that it needed to be picked up within a week or the motor would be crushed. He made payment via paypal and that was the last I heard from him. I went back out to the JY on Monday and low and behold the motor was still there!

I went ahead and picked it up and took it home and have since sent the guy 3 emails and left a couple of VM's and he hasn't returned any of my calls. Soooooo it looks like I have been paid $200 to do something with this motor!

A couple of weeks ago, I scored an 86 es for super cheap with a good motor, trans, and 2.93 lsd; nice straight body. A guy here was planning on doing a b35 swap but has decided to just get his car going and has offered to trade me a 318i trans, single mass flywheel, and hd clutch for the motor, trans, harness, and dme out of the es.

So basically, with the purchase of the car, parts trading, money made on the engine, I have everything, less mounts and oil pan etc. to put this thing together. Before you say to use a b35, that is not going to happen. I have basically $200 in all of this and want to build a barely street legal/track car and hope to have less than $1000 in the project.

The swap doesn't concern me at all. I have good sources around here to piece together the remaining parts and the ability to fab the mounts, oh yeah, and a BFH!

My questions are concerning the use of the 84 harness and any other performance tips for the b32. I would like to swap it over to motronic 1.1/1.3. There is another e32 735i in the yard and I can get the harness, dme, fuel rail, injectors, cam, etc. What it doesnt have is the oil pan and the afm. I pulled those months ago and sold them, a little egg on my face now .

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on what I need to do the motronic upgrade? The main reason for this is that I would like to chip the motor and I believe the wiring to my chassis harness will be much easier. Also, I have seen that the b35 cam is desirable with the b34, but that some b32 motors came with a "Hot" cam, a 272 duration IIRC. Does anyone have any experience with the b32 retrofit of the motronic? I believe all I need is the harness, front pulley and sensor, Idle control, fuel rail and injectors, and dme. Anything I am missing? And before you send me a link on a b34 motronic swap, chances are I have already read it. What I have not been able to find is anything on the b32 motronic swap. I am hoping it is basically the same. Thank you all in advance!!

Sorry for the novel!
    Last edited by cheapshot; 04-06-2012, 08:24 AM.

I found this in a post somewhere and saved it while I was doing research.
    upgrade the b32 to motronic 1.3, which actually isn't that difficult. You need, all from a b35, a Crank pulley,027 AFM, CPS Bracket,ECU, and an ICV, which cost me about 200 bucks extra. Oh, and you'll need bigger injectors, since the b32 runs stock with lower impedance injectors, while Motronic 1.3 is designed for high impedance 19 lb injectors. Which are easy to find.
    I'm sure you have seen this Motronic 1.3 conversion kitâ„¢ for your 535 but there is a question about the b32 about 10 posts in and he said it works on any m30. I used this info to put Motronic 1.3 on a b34.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks! I actually came across that the other day but didn't read that far down to see that it will work with any m30. I actually used that to make a list of what I needed to pull from the e32 at the JY. Any idea what problems I might run into using an auto harness from an e32?

Comment

If ur making a barely legal track car I would suggest megasquirt. That way u can have 2 step and launch control.

Comment

Originally posted by matt0300 View Post
          If ur making a barely legal track car I would suggest megasquirt. That way u can have 2 step and launch control.
          This is something I am considering. The only thing is I can get all the stuff I need to convert it for about $50.

Comment

I'm not sure about the auto harness as I used my 89 m20 harness. In FrankM E30 write up on page 56 it explains in detail how to bypass the auto trans stuff.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X