Position 3 Driveshaft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position 3 Driveshaft question

I know in the swap guide he used his 2 1/2 position. is anyone here running position 3, and what drive shaft do you think is the best suited. I was considering just buying a e30 m3 shaft, just want to make sure its the right size befor i drop the cash
    sigpic

We are running position 3. We used a driveshaft from a 86 e30 (the 86 and I think a few other years used the large flange) they mated correctly to the output flange on the trans. Easy - I think we cut 2 - 1/4" from the shaft. We had a small machine shop cut and TIG the shaft together. So far we have 40 pass at the drag strip and two 18hr road races on it - works perfectly.

Probably cheaper then a m3 shaft.

Comment

hmm 2-1/4 inches? on the tranny side or the rear side?
      sigpic

Comment

How much do you have to mash in the firewall to get it to fit in position 3? I have Otis B35 mounts in the back position and the valve cover is very close to the wall/brake line and I had to create a little bit of clearance with a hammer before installing motor.
        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

We cut the driveshaft on the transmission side - no big deal - just cut a section out (you can't cut at the flange since there is a male/female type fit at that point).

You are correct - in position 3 the engine hit the firewall. Not sure how others over came this issue but - we started with a sledge hammer and started to stretch out the firewall. Not enough. Luckily - this is a stripped out race care so we cut the firewall out and built a new one with a access plate. Pretty cool - we can access the rear of the motor / upper trans bolts in about 5 minutes.

Got a ton of clearance between the front of the motor/rad

I'll take some pic's on Monday night and post them..

Comment

I used a big ballping hammer and a dead blow hammer and just sorta used the same shape of the flywheel tunnel and pushed it back...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WatchMyDrift View Post
              hmm 2-1/4 inches? on the tranny side or the rear side?
              On the tranny side (front half).

Comment

Working...
              X