Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle Position Sensor - how to calibrate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey I willl be heading home this weekend give me a call we can pull the one off my car and see if its the problem.

1986 335is-1988 335ist -1991 335istsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      After talking with Brody from Miller about how my engine is down on power, he suggested checking the TPS for proper function. He mentioned that M1.3 cars have 3 wires, and that at WOT there should be continuity between the brown/black and ground. I checked mine and it seems like that's what I've got:

brown-blue to ground has continuity at closed throttle
      brown-black to ground has continuity at WOT
      Between wires has continuity at closed throttle, ~18K ohms at partial and 115 ohms at WOT

I know there's a audible "click" that can be heard from the TPC near the closed position, but I'm not sure if it should click just as I open the throttle, or should it happen somewhere else?

Does this seem right? The e34 Bentley has good info on page 130-8 and I think it all checks out.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw335isturbo View Post
        hey I willl be heading home this weekend give me a call we can pull the one off my car and see if its the problem.
        I'll be in Tacoma this weekend... but I think we're hitting a junk yard so I'll pull a few there to have as spares.

Originally posted by nando View Post
        unplug the TPS and turn on the ignition. see if you're getting 5v at the connector.
        OK, did some more tests with voltage tonight:

Across pins 2-3: 0V at WOT, 11.3V at Idle
        Across pins 2-18: 0V idle, 11.3V at WOT
        Across pins 3-18: 11.3V idle, 11.3V WOT

This was done with the connector attached to the TPS and me probing the harness where it enters the back of the plug... and now that I've re-read your question it sounds like I did that wrong. I'll have to check it again this weekend when I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
        X