Position 1 Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position 1 Qs

Hello all, I have some questions about position1 on an M30 swap. I just got a complete M30 swap setup out of another 320i for my car. The guy I bought everything one had the engine in position 1. I can see from the radiator that he tried putting the engine in with AC, then gave up on it and took it off. There are what looks to be some rub marks on the dizzy from hitting the radiator, though nothing major. Is position 1 really that terrible? I know the older Alpina cars used to use this position with the special radiator. Does anyone have any schematics of how to modify the radiator core to possibly angle the 535i rad for more clearance?
    Also, since he had the driveshaft cut down and rebalanced for his swap in position 1, will I be able to use it if I decide to go for position 2? Or will I have to cut it down again?
    In position 2, do you have to massage the firewall at all? My M30 came from an '85 635.

I do have Frank's M30 writeup and while extremely helpful it doesn't quite answer my questions. Searching did't do me much good either as everything I find is for position 3 or 2.5. Of course, I'm sure someone will post with a link to a search that yield s a plethora of results and I'll look a fool, but oh well...Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    sigpic'87 335i

It'll be much easier to go position 2 or 3 and fit radiator. I got lucky and didn't have to massage the firewall when I went dropped mine in at like position 2.5ish
    sigpic

Comment

Well I'd like to use position 2,I'm just not sure how it would work with the driveshaft. Does moving the engine back that half inch or so make a bid difference with the driveshaft splining?
      sigpic'87 335i

Comment

I'm actually surprised that he cut the driveshaft down, I thought that was one of the supposed benefits of position 1. Maybe he used the driveshaft from the 535.

Either way, it's going to be hard to know exactly what you will have until you put it together, some cars seem to need different combinations. If you had a bunch of splines showing in the forward position you'll probably be fine, but I assume the swap stuff is out of car right now.
        1973 Bavaria

Comment

yes it is all crammed into my tiny garage. I was afraid of that; having to wait till I installed it all to see if it worked. Unfortunately my German in terms of car words was very lacking when I tried asking him about the driveshaft. I guess I'll just have to try emailing him and see if he understand what I'm asking...thanks guys
          sigpic'87 335i

Comment

what tranny are you using
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X