m30 randomly wont start, no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 randomly wont start, no spark

Drove my car a couple nights ago and it ran just fine. Got in it the next night and it wont start, just cranks. I smell fuel, so it must not be getting spark.

What all should I look for?

Have already swapped out the coil for another with no success...

nobody?

Comment

Kind of hard to diagnose from here...but when this happens it is usually that some animal has chewed through a spark plug wire or something. It happens a lot around here. Otherwise I would check the dist cap/rotor. If you smell a ton of fuel you could have a leaking injector...Also you need to pull a plug and manually check if it is getting spark; I would start with that then report back.
      sigpic'87 335i

Comment

CPS? Dme? Grounds?
        sigpic

Comment

Checked grounds and swapped in a stock ecu with no success. I suppose I'll try to get the distributor cap off and report back

Comment

Pull a spark plug wire and/or wire going to the distributor and check if it's getting spark there.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
              Pull a spark plug wire and/or wire going to the distributor and check if it's getting spark there.
              +1....again
              sigpic'87 335i

Comment

have yet to find time to do work on the e30 but hoping to do some diagnosing this week and will report back.
                Thanks guys.

Comment

Pulled a plug and was getting no spark there. So I took the distributor cap off which involved pulling the radiator do to clearance issues, and cleaned all contacts and still wouldn't start. Have a new cap and rotor coming though so I guess we will see if that helps..

Comment

Are you getting 12v to the coil? Or still getting power to the dme?
                    sigpic

Comment

I am not getting any power at pin 37 on the DME or any at pin 87 at the main relay...I do however have power at DME pin 18 and main relay pin 30....HELP!

Oh and yes, I was getting 12v to the coil last week when I checked..
                      Last edited by tfritz; 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM.

Comment

You might still have a grounding issue. Double check your grounds.

I'll ponder this further and see if I can't come up with more to help
                        sigpic

Comment

Check relays especially main&fuel pump relays, afm plug, fuel pump , cps and already mentioned double check grounds and make sure no wires are being grounded.

Im guessing it's a m30 B35?

Comment

Yes m30b35. What grounds should I check besides engine grounds?...

Comment

Okay. I found a green/purple wire that runs from the main relay into the harness, down to the O2 sensor plug that is melted...I supposed I will try to replace that wire and see if that solves the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X