B34 loping idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B34 loping idle

Ok, I apologize in advance for the newbness of the following post.....

I adjusted the valves on the B34 for the first time ever today. It's also the first time I have ever adjusted valves period. Needless to say I took my sweet time and checked everything 3 times. All in all it took me about 2 hours to do. It wasn't terribly difficult, just very time consuming. I adjusted them to .25 cm from the rocker to the valve. I fired it up and it was significantly less noisy. However, it does seem as though one of them still makes noise, but I can't pinpoint it. I took the valve cover off again and rechecked, all are in spec. As I rev it up it gets louder and at about 3k it sounds like it did at idle with the unadjusted valves. Additionally, at idle the car seems to lope a bit, almost as though it has a mild cam. The engine shakes a little bit as well, though I am sure that is being amplified by the solid engine mounts. It doesn't sound like it is misfiring, just a bit lopey. Is this normal? I don't really have anything else to compare it too and the youtube videos just aren't the same as standing next to an engine running. For what it's worht I will try and take a video tonight. Any ideas on what to check/do?
    sigpic'87 335i

Ok time for an update. I once again readjusted the valves this morning. After some research on mye28.com I decided that although the head had less than 15k miles on it I would try adjusting the valves at the cam side. I took my time, making sure each lobe was point down towards the piston bores. I measured everything three times.Fired it up and.......still ticking loudly. It quiets down a bit after it warms up, but it is still noticeably louder than me E32 M30. It's loud enough to people notice the noise when I pull up. At this point I don't know what else to try. I finally got my gen III injectors today so I will be swapping those out this afternoon, but I am 90% sure it is a valve noise. Everythign under the valve covers looks good, everythign was tight and clean. ANYBODY had ANY ideas? BTW, I am also running Mobil 1 15W50. Could it just be that my valvetrain is loud?

*EDIT: I also forgot to mention that once it warms up the loping sounds subsides a bit. I can still hear it, but barely. I also noticed that I smell a whiff of gas now while it is running. No idea if that means anything...
    sigpic'87 335i

Comment

Ok, I got the new injectors installed and as I figured it made no difference in noise. I have noticed at takes just a little bit longer for the car to actually start with them in now...but no matter. Here's a vid of how the car sounds after all that I have described above. Thoughts?
      sigpic'87 335i

Comment

Working...
      X