Ford v8 swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford v8 swap question

I really want to put a Ford 302 v8 into my 1991 318i vert. Anybody know what kind of fuel economy I would get with it?

EFI or carb?
    stock or modified?
    auto or manual?
    driving like you stole it or driving miss daisy?

I used to get 18-20mpg in my '93 Mustang 5.0, and that was with "spirited" driving.. I would imagine since the E30 body weighs less that the mileage would be slightly better..
    Make the bastard chase you.

Comment

Considering you can't even post in the correct sub-forum, I doubt you could do the swap. And why would you possibly swap an old shitty pushrod iron block V8 into your car if you care about fuel economy?
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

aaaand welcome to r3v
        Make the bastard chase you.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
          EFI or carb?
          stock or modified?
          auto or manual?
          driving like you stole it or driving miss daisy?

I used to get 18-20mpg in my '93 Mustang 5.0, and that was with "spirited" driving.. I would imagine since the E30 body weighs less that the mileage would be slightly better..
          ^ I was thinking stock, manual, and a little of both. More like Miss daisy driving to work, but like I stole it the rest of the time, haha.
          Thanks!

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
          Considering you can't even post in the correct sub-forum, I doubt you could do the swap. And why would you possibly swap an old shitty pushrod iron block V8 into your car if you care about fuel economy?
          First of all the name of the sub-forum is "M30 and other swaps" This completely falls under "other swaps," second I bet I've done more engine swaps than you. It's called some of us want performance with a budget, classic American muscle engine, with the handling of a German car.

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
          aaaand welcome to r3v
          ^Haha yeah....

Comment

Good luck, if you're first concern is fuel economy, do an M50 or something.
            E30 buildy things
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

honestly.... why would you put a ford 302 in it.... i mean if you want to do a v8 do it right and drop an ls1 in there
              sigpic

Comment

Dont listen to these guys. Do what YOU want. Its your car right? lol. Dropping an ls in anything is cheating anyways. lol. The gas milage for the 302 would probably not be the best though... but as monkey man said, your vert is substantially lighter than any mustang. any v8 ford motor is definetly power on a budget in an itty bitty e30...
                ERHMAGHERD! BERMER!

Comment

Parts for an ls motor are inexpensive-ish, so when you get tired of 300hp you do a couple things and bump it to 400hp. then you get tired of that and put a blower on for 800000hp, lol
                  sigpic

Comment

So as a guess LS motors are around 400ish pounds. A 302 with aluminum heads is like 425ish.....
                    I do believe the ford motor is narrower than the LS
                    Plus 302 parts are super cheap.....
                    Im sure millage will vary a lot
                    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

It all comes down to budget and your compability. 302= cheap and decent power, ls1 = slightly more expensive but loads more power overall better engine. It will take a stroker kit or boost/n20 for the 302 to put out what a heads/cam ls1 can do. I went with the 302 turbo just because of price and I do all the work myself. I like how the 302 sits in the e30 engine compartment vs the ls1. Both engines are to much for the e30 anyway. either way it will be fun and different...well kinda...
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm have motor mounts and trans xbrace for sale
                        Originally posted by blunttech
                        r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Working...
                        X