91 318is + auto 2jz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318is + auto 2jz

Hey guys, I picked up a 2jzgte vvti from a 97 Toyota Aristo. It comes with the auto transmission, ecu, harness, longblock, twin steel wheel turbo's etc.

My car is a 91 318is, 5 speed. I've looked into w58 and r154 transmissions locally and haven't found any except 1 r154 for 1000.00. I know I can find one if I wait a while, but I would like to build a straight line car, and the girlfriend wants to drive it too.. Shes 5'1" and cant reach the clutch pedal efficiently in the stock 318is, so maybe go this route and get 2 birds with one stone..

Questions I have...

I'm not worried about installing the 2jz, it looks like it will be pretty straight forward. My questions are regarding mating the auto slush box to the bmw, I have a parts e30 that was auto so I can get any parts I need to get (if they haven't been taken yet) so the plastics for the interior to install the shifter etc..

How does the shifter connect to the transmission in the e30? cable? Would it be as simple as using the same cable method on the 2j transmission as long as the transmission supports it?

The transmission is controlled by the 2jz ecu? Or is there a separate tranny controller?

OR should I just say f it and pick up a used auto e30 and do it ? Or would it be the same headache?

I've done tonnes of research but haven't figured out anything that will help me, any info guys?

Found more information from a friend with a JZS161 (car that the engine is from) that might or might not help...

The throttle and gear selector are both "by wire" Therefore, I would need the pedal assembly from a gs300 or is300, as well as the gear selector assembly. I would also need to build a custom gauge cluster, or run a stack.

This isn't good news in my opinion, I'm not going to look for a 98 gs300 or is300 part out to steal what I need and see if its going to be possible at all.. It's an uphill battle that's fore sure, I'm beginning to think it's not worth all the work and the fiance should stick to driving her Q5 and stay out of my toys. :)

Comment

Working...
    X