m30b34 motronic 1.3 first start problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30b34 motronic 1.3 first start problems

put a m30b34 in my 528e and did the motronic 1.3 swap except I could only get my hands on a 150 ecu which I was told should be fine until I find a 179.

ok here is the story, I appreciate any help

Just turned the key, wouldn't start

swapped the CID and CPS sensors

crank crank crank START highhhhhhhhh rev (redline ish) but throttle cable was disconnected

turn it off fast

connect throttle, look for leaks / smoke / anything bad

then I start again and it revs as high as it can and I turn it off

fuel pissed out from somewhere, I can't find where

maybe an injector? I can't figure it out because the fuel lines look fine

I did the fuel lines same as the 528e was, I think top hose to and bottom return or maybe vice versa

is pissing fuel from somewhere but not the rail

why would it be revving like that?

do I have the icv and throttle switch cables mixed up?

FREAKING OUT

----

edit : it's pissing at the fuel rail where the hose would go to the CSV except I have the hose TIGHT at the rail and I stuck a big bolt in there and used a hose clamp. It's not pissing there, but at the rail.

why would there be that much fuel pressure and why would the car idle to redline if no throttle cable is connected?

could my coolant temp sender and sensor be backwards?

I'm at wits end at the moment

--

engine only has headers connected, no o2 sensor connected.
    150 ecu. b35 harmonic balancer, CPS and CID.

The fuel leak should be easy to find. It can only come from a few places. Did you use new O-rings on the fuel injectors? If you pinched one or one is missing ( on the fuel rail side) you will get fuel leak. Also, make sure you fuel lines are correct. I think the high pressure goes to the pressure regulator. Pull the hose - put in in a container and see if fuel comes out when you crank it = high pressure side. I'm someone can verify high pressure goes to the regulator side or not.

As far as the high idle -
    - Could be the wrong ECU ? Not sure what the 179 will do if you require a 150. I'm guessing the pin outs are the same so it shouldn't cause the idle to take off.
    - The only way you can get the car to rev like that with the butterfly closed is un-metered air - I would look at the IAC. Take is off and make sure the pintel is free. You could also pinch the incoming air side of the IAC (there is a small hose if I remember correctly).

You have to have "extra" air coming in someplace. With the butterfly closed you got no air - unless the IAC is bad (stuck open).

My .2cents - that is what i would check.

We have a b34 in our e30.

Comment

Originally posted by porschelou View Post
      The fuel leak should be easy to find. It can only come from a few places. Did you use new O-rings on the fuel injectors? If you pinched one or one is missing ( on the fuel rail side) you will get fuel leak. Also, make sure you fuel lines are correct. I think the high pressure goes to the pressure regulator. Pull the hose - put in in a container and see if fuel comes out when you crank it = high pressure side. I'm someone can verify high pressure goes to the regulator side or not.

As far as the high idle -
      - Could be the wrong ECU ? Not sure what the 179 will do if you require a 150. I'm guessing the pin outs are the same so it shouldn't cause the idle to take off.
      - The only way you can get the car to rev like that with the butterfly closed is un-metered air - I would look at the IAC. Take is off and make sure the pintel is free. You could also pinch the incoming air side of the IAC (there is a small hose if I remember correctly).

You have to have "extra" air coming in someplace. With the butterfly closed you got no air - unless the IAC is bad (stuck open).

My .2cents - that is what i would check.

We have a b34 in our e30.

Found the fuel leak, the hose that used to go to the CSV was bad. Replaced it with high pressure fuel line and made sure it was clamped tight.

I'm going to check out the IAC now. The injectors were not leaking, it was the hose at the rail and not where I blocked it off.

I had the pressure lines correct but there wasn't vaccum at the fuel pressure regulator since my vacuum hose was shot so the regulator wasn't regulating pressure!

I have an extra IAC that I will check too.

The 150 ECU went in 88 735s that ran motronic 1.3 and a b35 motor with the CPS and CID sensors. It's compatable with a 179 which is 1.3. I'm going to get a 179 because I think this ecu is shot.

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting the same advice all around actually and it's nice to know that this problem can be pinpointed by people with experience.

Comment

Glad you found the fuel leak.

I have a pile of ecu's we use. I have had ones just fail. We are using the War Chip and MAF sensor. Had Brody the owner of the War Chip company remotely tune our car. Runs very good.

Good luck.

Comment

OT: FYI, I will buy any dead ECUs from either of you ;)
          My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
          4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Any update on this? Ever get a 179 in there? Also, what did you follow while swapping int the 1.3?

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
            Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Working...
            X