Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal that a car needs gas while letting off the clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it normal that a car needs gas while letting off the clutch?

I can't seem to just let out the clutch and have it roll smoothly. It judders and makes noises if it doesn't get any gas.

Any ideas if this is normal and I have to get used to it? I have been driving an automatic for years.

what clutch is in it? stock?

The added torque of the motor could make it difficult to ease the clutch out. I did it today with my m20 and it did it just fine.
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
      what clutch is in it? stock?

The added torque of the motor could make it difficult to ease the clutch out. I did it today with my m20 and it did it just fine.
      I think, I think it is an OS Giken twin plate.

Okay I'll try to be upfront now because it seems like its car to car. It's an SR20 powered E30. Maybe I should ask them. I remember I was able to do so with the M40 powered E30 I owned but it jerked like hell.

Comment

I've never even tried. I would say yes, it's normal, considering your engine will make the least amount of torque at idle. Not sure why you want to do this in the first place. A manual isn't like an auto, it doesn't want to move forward with no gas. Just slip the clutch a bit then disengage it if you want to roll a short distance at low speed.

Comment

Originally posted by wholethingoff View Post
          I think, I think it is an OS Giken twin plate.

Okay I'll try to be upfront now because it seems like its car to car. It's an SR20 powered E30. Maybe I should ask them. I remember I was able to do so with the M40 powered E30 I owned but it jerked like hell.

ooo. the OSG clutch setups are very aggressive and have very little slip area - you need to give it throttle if you want to be able to slip it without stalling the engine or jerking alot.

I daily drove a SR20det with os giken single plate back in 2004 for a while in the summer- that was hell in traffic.
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            ooo. the OSG clutch setups are very aggressive and have very little slip area - you need to give it throttle if you want to be able to slip it without stalling the engine or jerking alot.

I daily drove a SR20det with os giken single plate back in 2004 for a while in the summer- that was hell in traffic.
            Damn! I better change the clutch. Or does it ever get better?

Comment

Damn! I better change the clutch. Or does it ever get better?
              Os giken twin plate is designed for racing use and rapid attack gear change: they do make street models but it sounds like you have a full race unit installed.

Os Giken clutch is also extremely expensive to refresh compared to stock clutch.

If you are looking for a street use clutch than the stock sr20det clutch should be available new in Thailand: I remember in 2001 I saw some light duty trucks at the nissan dealership with sr20det engine

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Os giken twin plate is designed for racing use and rapid attack gear change: they do make street models but it sounds like you have a full race unit installed.

Os Giken clutch is also extremely expensive to refresh compared to stock clutch.

If you are looking for a street use clutch than the stock sr20det clutch should be available new in Thailand: I remember in 2001 I saw some light duty trucks at the nissan dealership with sr20det engine

Hell yeah. I got to get used to it before I can get it out.

Will the stock do fine for 300-350 whp? I don't know I might just might want to go that far and have some fun.

Comment

Hell yeah. I got to get used to it before I can get it out.

Will the stock do fine for 300-350 whp? I don't know I might just might want to go that far and have some fun.
                  Not sure about that one! As that car was also using an os giken (single) and only 240rwhp or so

My friend had a s15 drive line setup in his s14 at the same time and its stock clutch and 6 speed was pretty happy with 104octane fuel and 1.5 bar. Id say it was about 310rwhp

Comment

Not sure about that one! As that car was also using an os giken (single) and only 240rwhp or so

My friend had a s15 drive line setup in his s14 at the same time and its stock clutch and 6 speed was pretty happy with 104octane fuel and 1.5 bar. Id say it was about 310rwhp

Nice. Going to check that out this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X