Getrag 265 help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 265 help.

I just noticed that the back of my trans is wet with oil. The guibo is dry though.

Reading here,

That means the cover plate could be leaking..? Where is that? I dont remember seeing one when the trans was out of the car.

He also says the vent could be clogged. The trans didnt leak oil when it was on a stand before i did my swap. Is there an easy way to get to the vent to clean it? I can bring the trans down a bit by unbolting the mount from the car, but I really do not want to pull the motor to get to the trans.

Has anyone pulled the trans from the bellhousing while its in the car? Is that any easier?
    1991 335is in progress

Needs a rear output seal. I always put the bellhousing on the motor first, then install the gearbox. It takes magic to keep the clutch in place. good luck
    '08 328i Sedan -daily touring car
    '89 335i Coupe -parting out
    '01 330i Sedan -divorced
    '90 325i Coupe -smashed

e30m50tu@gmail.com

Comment

So you are saying the clutch will/should stay put? I would hate to have to pull this engine already.
      1991 335is in progress

Comment

If you install the bellhousing without the gear box you need to have the whole clutch/FW/PP assembly inside without the trans input shaft to hold it togethet. Like i said, its magic.
        '08 328i Sedan -daily touring car
        '89 335i Coupe -parting out
        '01 330i Sedan -divorced
        '90 325i Coupe -smashed

e30m50tu@gmail.com

Comment

If you don't touch the pressure plate after you remove the transmission the clutch won't go anywhere. If you are removing or changing a clutch, that's what a clutch alignment tool is for before you torque down the pressure plate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

I figure the clutch disk will stay put, but what about the throw out bearing?

BTW, engine is in the car with the clutch/trans/etc all hooked up and working. I am just wanting to pull the trans from the bellhousing to change the seals and to top the fluid off
            1991 335is in progress

Comment

That I'm not sure about. I mean I don't see why you can't leave the bellhousing on the motor but not having ever had a dogleg I don't know for sure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Remove the gearbox from the bellhousing while its in the car.

Undo x4 nuts and slide it out, throwout bearing, fork, clutch etc will stay in the bellhousing.

Drop the gearbox crossmember and tilt the whole package down for more access.

Of course if its only the rear seal that can be done in the car.
                ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
                  Remove the gearbox from the bellhousing while its in the car.

Undo x4 nuts and slide it out, throwout bearing, fork, clutch etc will stay in the bellhousing.

Drop the gearbox crossmember and tilt the whole package down for more access.

Of course if its only the rear seal that can be done in the car.
                  This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

I ordered all new seals, so when they get here, I will attack it
                  1991 335is in progress

Comment

Just be aware though, the throwout bearing slides on the tube that surrounds the back part of the input shaft (which comes out with the box), so it will be one extra thing to line up during installation, ensure the box is in gear during installation so you can rotate the output flange to align the splines in the clutch.

Get a friend to help.
                    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

just got it out. That nut over the slave cylinder was a bitch!
                      1991 335is in progress

Comment

Working...
                      X