Planning a clean m30 swap (kinda long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning a clean m30 swap (kinda long)

Hello all. I am semi new to the forum. I’m not that new to cars. But I have been in the Nissan game for a while (Pulsar NX, rb20 s13 & TT 300zx) but I have a soft spot for e30s. I have been looking at getting an e30 for about 3 years now. I have also tossed around the idea of what engine I would like to swap. This thread is not intended on me asking someone which swap I should do or flame me & say this motor over the other. I was seriously thinking of the idea of a S50 clone swap made with m50b25 long block with m54b30 rotating assembly, m3 cams and ecu. The m30 swap has also caught my eye also. I know it’s old, and “heavy”, but the simplicity of the engine has me salivating. I DD a TT 300zx & it is a PITA to work on.
    With all of that being said, I plan on getting an e30 sedan, maybe a 318i or 325i. Before I get to my questions & points, let me just start by saying I have been researching this swap off & on for 3 years. I am knowledgeable about cars, turbo & na, and I am far from being a noob. I have done swaps on all of my cars, & I have owned 6 that I have swapped.
    *I have done swaps before & the best thing you can do is research instead of being surprised & getting discouraged with the swap.

The meat and potatoes:
    I’m looking at a 1987 325i 5 speed with working ac &ps. I started life as a 325e, but was swapped to an m20b25 & 3.93 rear end.
    Engine: refreshed m30b35 from e34 with Arp studs & a new stock HG
    Mounts: I’m looking @ “good&ight’s” mounts. Ottis knows his ish & is my hero when it comes to m30s & turbos
    Tranny: rebuilt M10 5 speed (got for $50 drooped off to my storage unit)
    Drive shaft: I have been told m10 auto/manual. But idk, no confirmation….
    Wiring: modified stock m20
    Tuning: chipped 179 dme for cam
    Rear end: the car that I am looking @ has a 3.93 lsd
    Exhaust: Stock manifold, stock exhaust with no cat
    Fuel: stock injectors
    Head work: 284 regrind from IE, refreshed valve train
    A/C: stock m20 compressor converted to r134a with modified m30 bracket. The car I’m looking at has A/C …..I am not clear on the AC part
    Power steering: not sure if I use m30 goodies or m20
    Cooling: e28 radiator with spal 16” fan
    I plan on doing the build in 2 stages. The 1st stage will be “refreshing” and swapping the engine in and having a nice DD. Working ac & power steering. A car suitable for me to drive my kid that’s on the way. GF doesn’t like the idea of the kid riding in the Z. The 2nd stage is HX50 & goodies!!! Now I think I have everything down as far as the swap. I am just fuzzy on a few things.
    1. If I want to retain ac and have an electric fan & still have plans for boost, what would the condenser/aux fan/ efan & intercooler set up should I go with? It is hot in Atlanta & I don’t want to overheat on i20 in rush hour.
    2. With using the M10 tranny, is the 318i auto/manual shaft a direct fit?
    3. What is exactly needed to get the m20 ac compressor to work with the m30 bracket?
    I plan on doing the swap in late May early June. And stage 2 next summer, I am just trying to get all the info I need before I spend a penny more or turn a wrench.

P.S. Thanks for your time

If i'm not mistaken the the M20 A/C bracket will work on the M30 or vise versa, I did the swap awhile back and made it work.

My mounts in POS 2 clear the a/c compressor. You will need a decent size fan in front of the condenser this will keep things cool. In addition if you can also fit a slim fan between radiator and engine that would be ideal to have both.

Intercooler placement is either in the lower valence area (best option) or in front of the condenser which will require a slim fan and it will still be very tight.

Tranny, well the M10 will bolt up, but the question is longevity..????
    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

If you want to turbo it, definitely look for a 265. I got mine for 100 bucks out of a junk yard
      1991 335is in progress

Comment

Power steering - use the m30 pump.

No need to ditch the cat IMHO. The stock manifolds are the weak link in the flow.

My advice - is get the m30 in there - it's a project, and then worry about the details on going fast. The TQ is enough to make it a fun car for a few years.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Tranny, well the M10 will bolt up, but the question is longevity..????
          Very true. I mine as well do it right the 1st time, just didnt want to part with the m10lol

If you want to turbo it, definitely look for a 265. I got mine for 100 bucks out of a junk yard
          Chance you arein Kennesaw? I work in marrietta every tues & thurs, I would love to see your swap 1st hand lol

My advice - is get the m30 in there - it's a project, and then worry about the details on going fast. The TQ is enough to make it a fun car for a few years.
          Thanks for the advice, I personally have not met anyone with the m30, Im originally from Orlando & the swaps that I see have all been m/s5x.

Otis, sorry about misspelling your name lol, If i were to go with the 260/5 & your mounts (pos 2), what driveshaft should be used then? I just want to make sure I have everything sorted out before I do anything

Comment

Yep. I am usually free tues and thurs nights, I have class monday and wednesday nights though.

Shoot me a PM some time and we can meet up. I would love to have some more m30 cars around here. I have yet to meet anyone else with one
            1991 335is in progress

Comment

Working...
            X