Interested in m30 swap, have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in m30 swap, have some questions

A member off this forum has an m30 swap for sale, and at this point is my dream engine.

The motor has around 120-130k miles. All gaskets replaced mated with an e28 five speed trans and spec stage 3 clutch as well ad comes with a 3.46s diff.

My concern is will I need a driveshaft? I have a 1987, so it had the big giubo, afaik this should be correct for the swap, right?

Also, the swap is coming with a "plug and play" harness for an 84 318i. Can I use this on my 1987 325, or will I need a new harness?

Which position mounts are the best? I read the .e30 pos II.

It does not come with a radiator, so I will need one. Any e28 rad will work, or only the m30 e28 rad?

That is all for now.
    Thanks

Only radiators from m30 powered e28's will work.

The m20 radiator will not work.

Engine position is entirely up to you, if your current tailshaft is in serviceable condition budget to have it shortened and modified to accept the larger 3 point flange.

The '84 "plug and play" harness you speak of is probably converted to the square style (early) c101 on the engine side, your car has a round style (late) c101 so no go I'm afraid.

You will more than likely have to do a little wiring, but don't worry it's no hassle, just do your research!
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Okay, pretty much what I was expecting.

One question about driveshaft though. Does it have to shortened?

Comment

My driveshaft actually needs to be lengthened with e30.de mounts put as far back as the mounts allow.

I have some qbang mounts that will work for an m30b34 if your interested. In the furthest position back my stock 89 325i driveshaft was about 1/2 inch away with the qbang mounts. With the e30.de mounts it's about 1/8 inch away.
        89 325i: 86 535i motor+trans, JE forged pistons, MLS head gasket, ARP head studs, Comp turbo, GoodNTight b34 turbo manifold, e30.de motor mounts, AKG 75D engine/trans mounts, custom 3" exhaust, intercooler, MS2PNP, Megan Racing Coilovers.

Comment

If you only need 1/8th of an inch, can't you just loosen the centre spline nut, and lengthen your tailshaft on the splines, or are you out of adjustment?

This was all I did for mine when I needed a similar amount of extra length. Just make sure you can still get some preload on the centre bearing.

As for the OP, your tailshaft will likely work, but you won't know 100% until the engine is in its final position in the bay. If you're using the e30.de mounts go for P3 - if the engine is an M30B35, there's not much (if any) firewall hammering needed - I could have got away with none in mine, but did push it back slightly for some extra clearance.
          Last edited by lukeADE335i; 10-25-2013, 04:01 PM. Reason: weird, random smiley turned up in post!
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
            Okay, pretty much what I was expecting.

One question about driveshaft though. Does it have to shortened?
            It depends on your engine position, and gearbox choice.

I know that the g265 is longer than the g260/6. What gearbox are you using?

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

The gearbox would be an e28 five speed. Not sure which one that is. The guy selling the swap also offered the drive shaft to me as well, so essentially if I buy the swap all I would need it

Swap mounts
              Harness connector
              Radiator and hoses
              Exhaust

I'm reaallyy consdering doing this, problem is shipping is a killer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

"Mounts" as in "brackets?" - If it's brackets (from engine to mount) just ask the seller which ones he used and buy the same if he's offering tailsaft etc.

You can use your original m20 rubber engine mounts.

Comment

Oops, meant brackets. Yes.

Ill see whatsup. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

late model radiator will work, but it's a tight fit. my b35 in pos.2 is very close and I'm running an e30 radiator.

Comment

Working...
                    X