Early to later ecu and harness swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early to later ecu and harness swap

I just purchased an engine harness, ecu, afm, injectors and fuel rail, intake and exhaust manifolds from an e34 535i. My goal is to install this stuff in a 85 e24. I'm replacing the b34 with a metric mechanic b37 rally engine. I know the 1985 manifold flows less than the later b35 manifold and that is the main reason for the update. My question is regarding what looks to be a drive by wire throttle, which I'm pretty sure I don't want. Anyone here perform this swap? I was looking to eliminate the cold start injector, have higher flowing intake and exhaust manifolds and run the later ecu.
    I've performed a similar swap on my e30, I went from the early harness to the later harness, but that swap did not involve a drive by wire setup.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    So basically I would like to know what have others done. I did a search but haven't seen the answers I'm after.
    sigpic

I'm having a hard time believing that a 92 e34 had electronic throttle control.
    sigpic

Comment

The first car with it was a 7 series tht did come with an m30

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
      sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

that looks like the eml tb. it's an early form of traction control. I'd check the etm and splice out the connector for that one and splice in the correct connector or just use the b34 tb, I think they are the same size. If you can get a non-eml harness that would be ideal too.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into the wiring for the regular TPS setup. Should be pretty straightforward, 5V ref, return signal, and ground. Does anyone know if it will set a check engine light with the remaining wires not being used? I would think the ecm wouldn't know any difference as long as it's not receiving traction control info from the wheel speed sensors, and therefor would not be able to send commands to it's missing throttle actuator.
          sigpic

Comment

it won't, I did the same thing on my harness. There will be some unused connectors on the harness that went to a separate ecu.

Comment

B34 throttle will work fine.

I did a M1.3 swap on my B34 in my 85 535i before just swapping in a B35.

Ideally you get a harness from an 88 635. A 88 528e "super eta" harness will work too. Or get a no thrills B35 harness from an e34/e32 M30 car.

I used a super eta harness for my M1.3 on B34 swap.

This is all you need to run M1.3 on a B34.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=swap
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Awesome, thank you Slammin, will definitely check that link.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X