Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deal on a M30?

Hey guys,
    So I've been researching a swap for my car, and the M30 was my first idea because of torque and such, then about a 24v swap. But now I found a deal or what I think is a deal on a m30. I believe it is a B35. Its from a 735. It has about 160k ish miles on it, comes with the harness ecu, all the intake stuff and exhaust manis. All for 250. Since this deal came up, I'm pretty sure I want to do an m30 swap over a 24v.
    The only down side to this plan, is I have a m20 5 speed. How bad of an idea is it to try and adapt it to fit on a m30?
    Thanks.

You won't be able to fit the m20 transmission to the m30. Your choices are to try the m10 trans or get one from an m30.

It sounds like a pretty good deal, though I believe (I could be wrong) the e32 headers won't fit and that you'll need to get e34 headers.

Comment

Check compression on the motor before you buy is all I gotta say.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I used e32 down pipes and they fit, just really close to the cab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Comment

the e34 ones also are really close to the CAB but work ok, so sounds like no big deal there.
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

ok, cool. I can get exhaust manis pretty easy. So that shouldn't to much of a problem. Is there a way to tell the difference between the b35 and b34? Also are anything else I should look for on a m30 other than a compression test?

Comment

I think the easiest way to tell is the presence of a crank position sensor and crank pulley that is notched all around the bottom. That signifies Motronic 1.3 which is a b35. A less reliable way to tell is the 3.5 on the intake manifold as opposed to the 3.2/3.5 on the b34. Plus the valve cover on the b35 has no BMW logo and just the letters BMW on it.

b34

b35

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Ok cool. I got one picture of it right now, I'll have to check it out.

Also when I do the swap will my OBC still work right? What kind of gas mileage can you get out of the m30? Is it about the same as the m20?

Here the one picture I have of the engine
                Attached Files

Comment

That's a b34. I would pass personally. I picked up a complete 735iL for $200.

To me, if you get to go m30, you might as well get the very best version you can get.

The one plus to the b34 is it is safer to boost than the b35. Stronger block and lowest factory compression.

Things to ponder.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Yea, I like to get the best I can get also. Plus I'm going to drive it around N/A for awhile before I boost it. So I think it would be more fun to have b35. Also what kind of trans can I mate with a b35? Can I get a 6 speed from like a 540?

Comment

anything from an e28/e24 will fit, and will be the easiest to find. I don't think the m6x has the same bell housing at the m30

Comment

Other B35 identifiers:

The B35 also has 3.5 cast into the block - I presume the B34 doesn't (although when completing my swap I ground the 3.5 off the block in keeping with my ultimate sleeper aims!)

The oil filter also points up on the B35 rather than down on the B34.
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Dang that would be cool if the 6 speed would fit. Is there a way to check on that?
                          So, would my 13 button obc work correctly with a m30 swap? If not I think I'll just switch over to a clock.
                          And what kind of fuel mileage would one get? Will it get mid 20s? like 25 ish?
                          Also lukeADE335i do you have any pictures of your swap?

Comment

Yes, the obc will work if you reuse the m20 harness. I get pretty good gas milage with mine, as long as I can keep my foot out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by navytapaul View Post
                              Yes, the obc will work if you reuse the m20 harness. I get pretty good gas milage with mine, as long as I can keep my foot out of it.

Thanks, from what I read the m20 harness is the easiest to use, anyways. Which diff are you using Paul?

Comment

Working...
                              X