Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getrag 242 behind m30 in e30 questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getrag 242 behind m30 in e30 questions..

4-speed,I know this is an unconventional swap,but it is the engine and trans I have right now and just want to get the car rolling and will probably swap to a 5(245/240) speed down the road.

Anybody ever go this route? Am I just best having the stock m20 shaft lengthened? I am going to use the m10 flywheel as it is nice and light,and the m20 clutch/pp.Am I on the right track? How about shifter box?

The car is an '88 325is
    The engine is from a '90 535i
    The trans is from '77 m10 car

Let me just say that there have been plenty of cases where 240s grenaded behind an m30. I don't know anything about the swap combo, but I figured you should hear this if you didn't know it already.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Oh I get it.. the whole box is soooo small. It'll be cared for-just to get the swap moving.It prolly weighs 40lbs,Lol.

Comment

Just wait for a 260. They are everywhere and putting a 4 speed in an e30 won't be the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Comment

Won't you need 2 different drive shafts (one for the 242 then one for the 260)? I mean just to get it going is one things...but all that extra work seems a bit much
          Swanny!
          SUCKERS.

Comment

If you use a 260, you can use the 87 325e manual driveshaft with the engine in position 2 iirc correctly. It has the big guibo for the m30 g260 and can use the e30 cross member too. 240's aren't known for lasting that long behind an m30, but there are a few people who have ran them for a couple of years by not being hard on them. Best bet is to just find a g260 since they came in pretty much every e28 and e24 with an m30.

Comment

My e21 323i had a G242 4 speed - was a good box, and they had a good reputation for being strong. With a long diff you'd be pretty right with the M30 torque.

Is your 242 from an e12? I saw a 4 speed down at the wreckers recently in an e12 528i.

As others have pointed out though, with all the mucking around with the tailshaft etc, if you intend to go over to a 5 speed later on, you might as well just wait until you have the 5 speed parts, as it's just too much effort.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

well,all i have to futz with is having the front of the driveshaft lengthened..And it is from a 77'E21. I actually think itll be cool,and i know how to take care of trannys and ill probably add a 2.93 diff. ;D

Comment

With the 2.93 should work fine.
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                  X