M30 Poor Warm Idle / Warm Stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 Poor Warm Idle / Warm Stalling

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my car back on the road after some extended maintenance and it's giving me fits. Cold idle is steady but once it warms up it starts sputtering and eventually stalls. With throttle anywhere above idle it runs fine.

I hooked a fuel pressure gauge and vacuum gauge up to the engine (hooked the vacuum gauge into the brake booster port to eliminate that as the culprit). Here are my results:

Fuel pressure with the engine off, jumpering the fuel pump relay: 46 psi
    Fuel pressure with the engine running at idle: 36 psi
    Fuel pressure with the FPR vacuum line disconnected: 46 psi

Does the idle fuel pressure seem low to you guys? I thought it should be around 40 psi with the engine running? The pressures are the same whether the engine is cold or hot so perhaps my pump, FPR, lines, etc are ok.

The vacuum gauge reads 17 in/Hg at idle until it starts stalling out and then it flaps between 20 and 0 as it tries to keep itself running.

Now here's the really weird part. I disconnected the FPR vacuum line from the FPR (fuel pressure increased as expected) and then the idle evened out no problem since it's now getting a bunch of extra fuel pressure. But if I then put my finger over the vacuum hose it starts stalling out and then completely dies as before.

This has me scratching my head. I would expect it to run worse with that line disconnected and I have no idea why blocking that line would cause the engine to stall.

So far I've tried two different ICVs cleaned both of them out with carb cleaner thoroughly and checked both electrically. They both hum and show proper resistance on the terminals.

I checked the ICV plug wiring but I'm not 100% sure what normal values are here. I have battery voltage on the middle pin and it looks like 5V(?) signals on the other two wires.

The car has been sitting for a while but otherwise within the past year I've replaced:
    Fuel Filter, FPR

Within the past 4-5 years I've replaced:
    CTS, Cap + Rotor, Ignition Coil, Spark Plugs, Plug Wires

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not exactly sure what it might be.
    $500, Diamantschwarz, and a Dream

Have you done a leakdown test?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Are you running B35 or B34 electronics? It sounds like you're not getting enough fuel at hot idle, and the cold idle enrichment is keeping it running.

How long was the car off the road? Possibly your injectors loaded up and are stuck in a partial state. Put a steth on them and see if they're all clicking similarly.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        Are you running B35 or B34 electronics? It sounds like you're not getting enough fuel at hot idle, and the cold idle enrichment is keeping it running.

How long was the car off the road? Possibly your injectors loaded up and are stuck in a partial state. Put a steth on them and see if they're all clicking similarly.
        B34. I've been driving it sporadically over the past two years, probably not more than 500 miles total. I had the injectors cleaned and balanced a couple of years ago but it's definitely possible one or more are sticking. FWIW they are fine electrically (both the injectors themselves and the injector harness wiring). I'll investigate and let you guys know what I discover.

Comment

I did eventually figure this out, just forgot to update the thread. Turns out the clearance was set wrong on the throttle body butterfly. A feeler gauge and about 5 minutes worth of work and we're back in business.

Comment

Working...
          X