M30B35 wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30B35 wiring

My M30B35 was delivered today, and I'm almost ready to begin the swap. Was just wondering if I could get some clarification on what the following plugs do? Just wanted to know before I pull the M10.
    [IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Alright, so I have figured out all the connections except for the four black eyelets (I'm thinking they're to go to ground?) and the one red eyelet (Positive?). Does anyone know what these are for? If anyone would like to know what the other connections are for just ask.

Comment

the two black eyelets at the end are for the coil. one should be for the bigger post and the other for the smaller. the two black eyelets not at the end are grounds. the one red eyelet is for constant +12V.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Was just looking over the engine again, twiddling my thumbs whilst waiting for parts to arrive, when I noticed this:

This cable was badly soldered to the ht lead and wrapped with tape. The solder had actually come off and the cable fell away from the ht lead. What is this cable? What is the part number of a replacement cable.
        [IMG][/IMG]
        [IMG][/IMG]
        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

that's the cylinder ID sensor. the engine needs it to know which bank of injectors to fire. it can run without it, though, it will fire both banks at the same time (which is less efficient)

you typically get a new one along with a new set of plug wires
          cars beep boop

Comment

Yea, I figured it out shortly after posting. Looks like I'm after a new spark plug lead set! Do only motronic 1.3 m30s have the ID sensor? As in could I get a spark plug wire set off say an e28 or something at a wreckers?

Comment

What is the additional hood looking thing on this set of spark plug wires? It isn't on the set that is currently on the motor.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Oh it's just the coil plug thing lol, I think the current one on the motor is non-OEM as it doesn't look like that.

Comment

I actually have a spare I.D sensor plug if you're interested. That hood thing is just a little boot to cover the ignition coil, more for aesthetics than anything.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                  Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

it's mostly for not accidentally shorting the unfused +12V fatty wire that goes to the coil to ground.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

I suppose that's a benefit as well.

'89 535i/5 Holset WH1E turbo
                      Follow my m106 megasquirt build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Squirt-content

Comment

Originally posted by ZenitramNaes View Post
                        I actually have a spare I.D sensor plug if you're interested. That hood thing is just a little boot to cover the ignition coil, more for aesthetics than anything.
                        Thanks mate, but I've already bought a set locally.

Comment

Another quick question, I went to bolt the e30.de mounts onto the intake side of the engine and it seems that I'll need to modify the little support bracket for in the intake manifold. I just wanted to check that this is the case and that there isn't an alternative method that I'm not seeing.

Comment

Working...
                          X