Found an m30, questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found an m30, questions.

Found a 535i at a local yard here. He said i could have the whole car for 1000bucks. I figure e30 with m30 would be exciting. What am i looking at here to install this motor. granted i would like a rebuild so its more reliable as its been sitting for 2 years. I figure i got 2grand to work with, should i just say no as im opening a whole world of problems? or go for it. keep in mind my e30 is my dd.

I would say expect to put about $3000 into the swap. I got my M30 for $1200 for the full car and I ended up spending about $3000 total.... but I also bought a 1990 E30 for $500. I had the head checked and cleaned, it was in spec so no milling was needed. I checked out the bottom end and everything was in spec. I was going to re-ring it but I decided not to because I am going to do a full overhaul it in 2-3 years and everything was within spec.
    My exhaust cost about $50 for pipe and I welded it all myself. But this could easily cost a few hundered. The mount brackets are a few hundred depending on what you get. I welded my own from 1/4 steel that I got for free. I also poured my own urethane motor mounts which saved a few bucks.
    Depending on how the driveshaft works out you might have to cut it and balance it for couple hundred more. I happened to find one that fit on my specific application.
    You also need a thinner radiator for a hundred bucks or so.
    Then you need a couple hundred in gaskets, a hundred more in mics bolts like head bolts and clutch plate bolts. Plus $300 for a clutch kit if you do that.

I am not one to discourage anyone from a project but I think $2000 might be a little low. If you plan on spending a little more then you should be fine.

The other consideration is dont plan on putting the motor in and having it work as a daily driver right away. There will be problems to work out. If you take the car down on Friday and try to get the motor in and everything fit before Monday you might run into trouble. Just plan ahead and take it one step at a time and you should be fine. It concerns me a little if you dont have another backup car. Once you take the M20 out its another $50 to put it back in... coolant, PS fluid, etc. It you are going to have to take the M2o out a few times to test fit the M30 and then expect to have the M20 back in if things dont perfectly that adds up in both time and money.

Comment

I meant i have 2000 besides the initial cost of the motor.
      I have to go talk the person i would have do it. Wouldnt be a big deal if i didnt have the car for a week or so.

Comment

is it an e28 or an e34? bc e28 will be a bitch to convert (u need an e32 or e34 oil pan AND pump)

u need custom motor mount brackets and shorten the shifter linkage... the electrical isnt hard as long as u use the M20 engine wiring harness ... there are other minor issues such as cooling and exhaust, but that's minor....
        Recent Rebranding!!
        Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
        Instagram.com/garageaholic
        Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

btw, i spend a total of about 3grand on this project so far.. just to get the engine/tranny/new driveline stuff and get the engine working in the car....
          Recent Rebranding!!
          E30 SM62/S62
          E30 M60 V8
          E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

does anyone know what the issues are with using the electric throttle rather than the mechanical. i have a 91 535i 5 speed that has some significant body damage and i wanna make the motor work in an e30 but was warned that it wouldn't work because the e30 lacked certain equipment. i'm wondering what that equip is and whether it could be swapped from the 5 series
            1990 325i - Brilliantrot, 3.73 LSD, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 4300k HIDs, Rebuilt with Metric Blue Head bolts, Planning turbo with MS by end of the year...
            2006 R6 - Raven, Driven 520 1,2 Chain Conversion, 6000k HID's, DB Screen, Heated Grips, GYTR CF Slip-on, Fender Eliminator, Flush mounts
            (wife's)
            1992 325i - Alpineweiss II, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 18" M6 Replica Wheels, 6000k HID's, Angel Eyes, Blacked out Kidneys, 20% Tint

Comment

On mine, I have a late m30 out of a 735iL, and I just had EuroDepot swap out the electronic throttle with one of the traditional ones. I haven't gotten into actually putting the motor into the e30 yet, but I am sure it will go fairly well.
              01 325Ci
              87 325iS w/ M30B35 swap

Comment

for the throttle position sensor (TPS) on the throttle body, you dont need to replace the whole thing, just terminate the 3 wires that aren't used... because the other 3 perform the exact same operation and are even color coded the exact same.. My personal experience on my e32
                Recent Rebranding!!
                E30 SM62/S62
                E30 M60 V8
                E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by M3fan4eva
                  is it an e28 or an e34? bc e28 will be a bitch to convert (u need an e32 or e34 oil pan AND pump)

u need custom motor mount brackets and shorten the shifter linkage... the electrical isnt hard as long as u use the M20 engine wiring harness ... there are other minor issues such as cooling and exhaust, but that's minor....
                  It takes about 10 mins to swap out the pan and pump to e34 style. I picked them both up for $100 shipped. Techincally you only need the pickup for the pump.

The b35 does have bigger valves and better head flow but the b34 has lower compression. If you going for a NA setup then the b35 has a few more ponies. If you want big hp, get b34 block and a b35 head and your ready for a nasty turbo setup.

Ask me how I know.:)

Comment

Originally posted by terrybpp
                    Ask me how I know.:)
                    How do you know?
                    Recent Rebranding!!
                    E30 SM62/S62
                    E30 M60 V8
                    E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Another consideration between the b34 and b35 is what tranny you plan on using. The monotronic sensors for the b34 mount in the bell housing making the selection of the transmission an important issue. Especially if you plan to go with a 5 speed as they are harder to find for a decent price.

Comment

Check out these websites!!!

http://www.e30.de/335i/00.htm

http://www.jaredsquires.com/ndp/

You will find them extremly helpfull!!

Im doing the same swap your doing. You can use e28 radiator out of your donor. Motor mounts are hardest part of swap.

Comment

P.S.... M3fan4eva... you have paid too much, I hope you have realized that by now....

Comment

Working...
                          X