Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1985 body with 1987 engine, wiring question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 body with 1987 engine, wiring question ?

I have a 1985 325e, motor is blown.. I found a motor from a 1987 325e...

I have already pulled the old motor and have the 87 motor hooked to the tranny ready to drop in.. New cluth and pressure plate replaced also.

A friend tells me there are some wiring differences I need to fix preferebly before I drop it in. Easier access to the motor and all.

I am doing all the work myself..

Can some one help me with a link or just explain what wires I need to work on?

What differences there are between the two years?

I feel like such a novice at this from this issue..
    sigpic

Just use the engine harness from the original engine. As long as it is an 87 and not an 88 you will be ok. The main difference is the C101 plug. on an 85 it's rectangular. on 86+ its round.

look at the pic.

Comment

Hi Steve what's up see you found this board, sorry that I can't help you out today, but ya the name of the plug that needs to be rewired is the c101. You basically need to match function to function, not always color to color. If you go this route I'd cut the rect. plug off your old engine with the damage and splice it onto the 87 harness. And make sure to cut about a foot of extra wire from the rectangulor plug, as it plugs in on the far side of the fuse box, where as the 87 plug will only reach to above the brake booster.
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Sorry to jack the thread but what other year plug diagrams do you have? Do you have any diagrams from 1990. I have made my own but I am not 100% usre on all my labels.

Comment

Well I went over to Steve's house today (tn325i) and we got the engine running
          85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
          X