Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch/starter combos on M30b35's

All,

my current M30b35 (out of car) is running a e36 325 clutch and starter combo (m50).
    Single mass clutch, 228mm flywheel.

I feel this *228mm is too small.

I'd rather replace this before it's returned back into my E30.

I'd prefer not to run a dual mass setup, as I can't resurface the flywheel if/when the time comes, and the inevidable chatter that comes along with a dual mass setup.

what's a cost effective solution I can run as an alternative, in which I can retain the e36 starter?
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Does the e36 starter mate with standard m30 flywheels? If so, any old 533i flywheel is a good, lightweight choice.

Comment

e36 starter unfortunately doesn't mate with the m30 flywheel.

the PO must of just grabbed whatever parts he had lying around instead of doing this "right".

I'd much rather not have to spend anymore $ on stuff that I know is already working.

Comment

forget this.

took the pressure place/flywheel and clutch off.
        clutch still has a lot of meat to it, and I know this worked legit on a nice e34 535 before it wrecked.

I'm going to keep it as is.

i'm surprised the 228mm is holding up tho.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I should listen to my own advice more often.

Comment

228mm will be fine if your M30 is stockish (ie. not a turbo monster!). I'm running only a "stage 1" heavy duty 215mm clutch with my swap and it has been great for more than two years of the daily grind. My left leg is happy in traffic that I didn't go for a "stage 3" or something silly.

Basically it's just a 50% uprated pressure plate & stock Valeo clutch disc for an M10.
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

This is just a collection of random thoughts but I think the e36m3 clutch offers more surface area. I'll have to do some research again but before I built my custom clutch I was looking into mating that setup to my m20.
            sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
              228mm will be fine if your M30 is stockish (ie. not a turbo monster!). I'm running only a "stage 1" heavy duty 215mm clutch with my swap and it has been great for more than two years of the daily grind. My left leg is happy in traffic that I didn't go for a "stage 3" or something silly.

Basically it's just a 50% uprated pressure plate & stock Valeo clutch disc for an M10.
              This is reassuring thanks! I was certain that 240 mm was the bare minimum.

Comment

euro m10 flywheel with a m5 clutch. or just the stock m30 flywheel with the stock starter for both options

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

M5 clutch is 240mm, euro M10 is either 228mm (e10, e12, e21 2.0L) or 215mm (e21 1.8L, e30). This combo won't work.

Do you mean an e30 M3 clutch with an M10 (or S14) 228mm flywheel? This setup works great, giving an uprated clutch without a heavy pedal.

Comment

sourcing euro parts is nearly impossible in my neck of the woods, unless I'm buying directly off ebay.de or pay out the nose at the local yard that has a few euro bmw's in their inventory.

I think i'll be okay with the OEM E36 325 clutch, and flywheel. everything was solid...a bit of a waste of time pulling everything apart, but I think I'll like the feel of a lighter pedal as opposed to a heavy "on/off" performance clutch.

Comment

I'm going to attempt to defeat the internet and use an M20 323i 228mm flywheel, stock clutch, TOB and starter motor with an M10 box. I'll let you all know how it goes once I'm done. Shouldn't be long though, just waiting on engine mounts to be shipped from the UK.

Comment

the TO bearing is pretty universal...do the PN numbers all match up with the 228mm FW?

Comment

As far as I'm aware the TOB is the same for pretty much all BMW. 21 51 7521 471. I'm running the same one in my 2.7i car with G260, lightened 320i flywheel and standard M20 clutch. Our system lists them as suiting M10, M20, M30, M40/42/M44, M50/M52/M54, M60 and even N42.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                            I'm going to attempt to defeat the internet and use an M20 323i 228mm flywheel, stock clutch, TOB and starter motor with an M10 box. I'll let you all know how it goes once I'm done. Shouldn't be long though, just waiting on engine mounts to be shipped from the UK.
                            Don't do it.... I learned the hard way (documented over on BMWforums.com.au). The flywheel bolts up, the ring-gear teeth are not as deep as the M10 or M30 flywheel, making the M20 flywheel a larger diameter. To cut a long story short, my ring gear lasted for 4 weeks before dying.

Better off getting a 228mm M10 flywheel if you want to run the M20 clutch from an e21 or 2002. You could try swapping an M10 ring gear onto an M20 flywheel.

BMW, or Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, is a premium manufacturer of cars and motorcycles based in Munich, Germany. Forming part of the BMW Group, which is also the parent of Mini and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, BMW is one of the leading premium automobile manufacturers with a focus on ‘Sheer Driving Pleasure’.

Comment

I've seen the thread. I'm still confused. If I am using an M20 starter motor as well as an M20 flywheel, I don't see why there will be issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X