Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

g260 question

Ok just want to clarify,
    I am using a g260 in my m30b35 swap. (it is an m30 g260) do I use the shift linkage that came with the trans? Or the one from my m20 motor g240? I remember reading somewhere that I need the e30 linkage but can't find it again. Thanks.

Based solely on the research I've done I think you're right.

You can use a linkage from an M30 car but you'd have to modify it.

Modifying the linkage isn't very hard, just cut, measure, cut, weld. Engine and tranny should be installed for accurate measurements.

Comment

I *believe* you can leave the e30 M20 linkage in there.

I'm really hoping so, as it's one of the "not sure's..." about my swap I'm currently building aswell.
      there's been so many different answers, and so many different variables
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
        I *believe* you can leave the e30 M20 linkage in there.

I'm really hoping so, as it's one of the "not sure's..." about my swap I'm currently building aswell.
        there's been so many different answers, and so many different variables
        I used my stock m20 shift linkage with my swap. (m30 g260). I guess it will vary slightly depending on where your mounts position the engine but it should be close enough to center the shifter pretty well.

Comment

I used the garagistic mounts on my car (position ~2.5 IIRC) with the late cast aluminum e30 325i shifter linkage and it lined up just about perfectly.
          Originally posted by Japandrew73
          I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it
          '92 335ic Alpinweiss II/Indigo
          '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

Comment

When I did my m30 swap I shortened the shifting arm and linkage. I used m30 version of both.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by hotdish View Post
              I used the garagistic mounts on my car (position ~2.5 IIRC) with the late cast aluminum e30 325i shifter linkage and it lined up just about perfectly.
              Were your garagistic bolt holes larger than the bolts that mount them to the block. I mean the bolts have a lot of wiggle room on the mounts. Cause I just got my garagistic mounts and the holes are huge.

Comment

Another question, I have read that you can swap the trans output flange from the m20 trans onto the g260 so you can use your original drive shaft. However today i went to do that and the teeth were smaller on the m20 flange so I couldn't swap it. Is there a certain m20 trans that has the correct teething?

Comment

The small output flange needs to be from an M20 Getrag 260.

I'd always wondered whether the G240 flange would fit - thanks for answering the question!
                  My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by kusserwagon View Post
                    Another question, I have read that you can swap the trans output flange from the m20 trans onto the g260 so you can use your original drive shaft. However today i went to do that and the teeth were smaller on the m20 flange so I couldn't swap it. Is there a certain m20 trans that has the correct teething?
                    I swapped my m20 g260 flange onto my m30 g260 transmission the spline is the same. However the m20 flange I used was a lot shallower than the m30 flange so the pilot/tailshaft that fits into the driveshaft was too long. I had to cut the stub on the output shaft down about 1" and file the OD down until it fit into the driveshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by frankie591 View Post
                      I swapped my m20 g260 flange onto my m30 g260 transmission the spline is the same. However the m20 flange I used was a lot shallower than the m30 flange so the pilot/tailshaft that fits into the driveshaft was too long. I had to cut the stub on the output shaft down about 1" and file the OD down until it fit into the driveshaft.
                      On my car, I just drilled a hold in the end of my 323i driveshaft so the output shaft would fit into it.
                      Originally posted by Japandrew73
                      I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it
                      '92 335ic Alpinweiss II/Indigo
                      '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

Comment

Originally posted by hotdish View Post
                        On my car, I just drilled a hold in the end of my 323i driveshaft so the output shaft would fit into it.

Have you had any concerns about breakage? I'm trying to decide between an E34/E30 hybrid driveshaft or swapping output flanges and cutting output shaft/maybe drilling the driveshaft.

Comment

I've been running a Getrag 240 behind my M30B35 for 3 years now. It hasn't broken. Running the small output flange on the Getrag 260 won't cause you any issues.

Comment

well i'm just concerned about drilling a hole in the d/s. i guess i could just cut down the output shaft.

Comment

It may depend of which driveshaft you have as to whether you have to mod it or not - a mate of mine who did this bolted a 323i driveshaft straight up.

Comment

Working...
                              X